It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Registration Procedure
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:30 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Due to problems with the email system there is no longer an account activation by email procedure on UKASTLE; membership is instant.

All newly registered users must have their first initial 3 posts approved by an Admin/Mod; this way nothing harmful can get through. Moderators have the right to ban members who they feel are spammers as a short term solution, whilst action is waited upon from the Admins.

Alex
Site Administration : Membership Officer

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 am 

Please also be aware that users wishing to register for an account must also agree to the extended terms and conditions shown on the registration page. The tick box to agree to these terms will be disabled at first - but will be enabled after you have read the terms. You must agree and tick the box to have an account.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:47 am 

The 'visual confirmation' settings have been toned down slightly to ease legitimate registrations. This is because I have now built a Spam Catcher modification exclusively for this forum. For persons registering:- on the left you will be set a task, such as "Write the word BUS backwards into the answer box" - and so in the "your answer" box, you would write in SUB.
This same system is used on the Contact Us page - and had been in use prior to that on a contact page on my own website. I built it myself as I couldn't get my head around building a CAPCHA script, and it worked on my site without any spammers getting through.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 am 

An update on the 'spam catcher': I have word from Alex that since building the Spam Catcher cognative confirmation procedure in this forum, there have been no spambot registrations made on the forum.

The Spam Catcher procedure has been built from scratch by myself and is only used on this forum and on my own website. I have not released this modification to the phpbb  development community and do not plan to do so - as an unofficial modification, it is unique and is not mainstream, so spammers have not worked out a way around the process (and are not likely to do so anytime soon)

enjoy the spam-free environment here at ukastle! :D

Chris
Site Administration: Development, Technical and Gallery

Profile  Personal album 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]