It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:47 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I was going to start making some lantern factfiles the other day but I think I'll have a shot at it now and then people can edit and add to it as they please; I'm not quite sure how to add an image to each page either (as you see on wikipedia itself usually top left hand side with an information box underneath). Take the Nintendo 64 pagefor example; where the image of the console is would be your Beta Five picture, the box at the bottom of the page entitled 'Nintendo video game hardware' would be a Thorn box and the box entitled 'Fifth generation video game consoles' would be your SOX lantern box.

I have a word document that dates back quite a bit now, with back-up of some regional factfiles I can add too. I'll keep you all informed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Right I've added some from the word document to the wiki which are linked off the homepage. I still have more to do but I'm going to Devon tomorrow so won't be able to continue this process until Sunday.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm 

If anybody's stuck with how to do the wiki coding there are two options
- go to a wikipedia page and click an EDIT link then look through the code in the box to see if you can figure out what does what.
- in the reference section when building or editing a page, the bottom of the page below the text box has a link to a page which gives guidlines for useful codes (ie inserting images). I copied it from wikipedia and changed a few bits to update it for our newer version of the software.

Also, if anybody wants an image to be shown on a Wiki page, I can be contacted with a link to the image in Question, and it can be uploaded to the server. If necessary I can look into an image upload script...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 am 

Here's a page that I'm making, lantern comparison
Lantern Comparison (list)

It will take a while, as I have 3 and 3/4's of A4 full of lantern info to copy out! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I've produced the first lantern factfile here. It is very basic and the text at the top needs to go into a table but I'm not quite sure how to do that yet  :?.

UPDATE: Alpha Eight has also been added

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Administration

Looks a good start and can be used as a template for others. There is some more additional info which I might add in when I get the time.. ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 am 

I've sorted out lantern factfiles and regional factfiles respectively so that they are linked to from a single page, like a section, as opposed to links for each page coming off the main page.

I've also added a custom tag. It's presently being developed, and so some variables may be added (such as width, height, caption, etc)... but the main page now has a small image showing to the right courtesy of this tag. to use it, simply put the full URL to an image (not a html page containing an image) including the http  at the start, between tags like this: <tinyimage></tinyimage>
Code:
<tinyimage>http://www.ukastle.co.uk/bannerhead2.jpg</tinyimage>

Is the example. It will always be 150px wide and set to the right of the page. I haven't quite got my head round adding in the variables, as the output of anything I add comes out as "array" even if I've set everything up properly - either that or the entire system breaks... but once I can get the thing to work properly then position and size will be things that can be altered.

EDIT: I have now made another tag. This one will add a banner onto a page whereby contents are not complete. To add it, simply add the name(s) of the people primarily responsible for building that page between <incomplete> and </incomplete> tags.
Code:
<incomplete>Alex, Phosco152, Mazeteam</incomplete>

will give you the result presently shown on this page:
http://www.ukastle.co.uk/reference/inde ... _Factfiles

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Administration

I've updated the links page with Jim Eadon's lighting blog.

In the Reference Section, I've created a new page in the Wiki - the Lantern decoder which lists the most common types of current production and out of production but still in use lanterns. This page is a copy of the one from the forum section of Ukastle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:46 am 
Founder
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
I've updated the links page with Jim Eadon's lighting blog.

In the Reference Section, I've created a new page in the Wiki - the Lantern decoder which lists the most common types of current production and out of production but still in use lanterns. This page is a copy of the one from the forum section of Ukastle.

Thanks Phosco152 :D

I love the lantern decoder. What do you think about linking factfiles off of that page? For instance, with the Alpha 8:

8 Side road lantern incandescent, mercury, 35W SOX. No longer in production

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:26 pm 
Site Administration

Yep, can be linked when we have some more factfiles, I'm working on some more of those.

I think you have linked the "wrong words" from the decoder for an Alpha 8 though...  :?

Profile  Personal album