It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm 

The ILP Midland Region Meeting will be taking places at SAPA Poles, Redditch, B98 9NA on the 23rd June 2011. The theme is a "Back to Basic Technical." It is an all day event starting at 10:00am to 4:00pm with coffee/tea breaks and buffet lunch as well as a factory visit.

The speakers are:

History Of Outdoor Lamps (Chris Watson - Philips)
Energy (Zodion)
Electricity (Kevin Grigg)
Structural Testing (Jon Hall - Roch)
Passive Safety (SAPA Poles)
History Of Street Lighting Lanterns (Simon Cornwell - StreetlightingUK / UKASTLE)

Now, I know what you're thinking.... what sort of buffet is it? And will there be chips?

Seriously, anyone from the forum can come along. Please let me know if you're coming so I can give the organisers some ideas of number for catering i.e. extra chips.

All the best,
Simon

PS Does anyone have a nice clear picture of the Birmingham REVO Precinct lantern at high resolution (over 800 x 600)? It will be included my PowerPoint presentation as an example of civic pride, local authority bespoke designs, and so I can persuade Birmingham's PFI manager (who is organising the event) to perhaps overlook a few destined for the WEEE dustbin and pass them onto enthusiasts.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:21 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I've made this topic a Global Announcement because I want to encourage as many members as possible to go for this opportunity. I won't be able to make it but I am extremely pleased that Simon has been given the chance to present.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:12 pm 

Simon Cornwell wrote:
PS Does anyone have a nice clear picture of the Birmingham REVO Precinct lantern at high resolution (over 800 x 600)? It will be included my PowerPoint presentation as an example of civic pride, local authority bespoke designs, and so I can persuade Birmingham's PFI manager (who is organising the event) to perhaps overlook a few destined for the WEEE dustbin and pass them onto enthusiasts.

I have a high resolution photo of a Revo Birmingham. Could you send me your email address via PM?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm 

Sadly I will not be able to attend as i'm working. I'm gutted that i'll miss this, I would've gone there on the bike.

Thank you Simon C for posting this on here though. It is much appreciated and I wish you the best of luck with the Birmingham project too.

Stephen.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm 

I would have gone but I don't get paid until the 25th.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 am 
Random avatar

Sorry I can't go due to the distance and the cost involved, it sounds like a fascinating day for a streetlight enthusiast like myself and it's very rare I'll pass up the opportunity for free chips!  :mrgreen:

Hope it all goes well though  :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Administration

Well I have just got back from the ILP Midland Meeting held at SAPA Pole Products.

In the end apart from Simon C, I was the only other "enthusiast" there, all the other attendees were from the trade.

The factory visit was cancelled due to Health and Safety issues and the final talk of the day by NAL Ltd who make Retention Sockets for poles was also called off, so the day ended a couple of hours earlier than planned.

Overall it was a fascinating day with lots of technical snippets gleaned. The agenda was as follows:

Keith Henry: SELC
The History of Photocells

John Fox: Zodion
The Myth of Energy Reduction

Jon Hall: Roch
Structural Integrity of Columns

Kevin Grigg: Amey
Unmetered Supplies.

The afternoon session consisted of:

Chris Watson: Philips
Lamps for the Outdoor - Past, Present and Future

Simon Cornwell: Ukastle
History of Street Lighting Lanterns

Andrew Tucker: SAPA
Passive Safety

I took copious notes so I will give more detail about the talks in the relevant sections of Ukastle.

Of note there are 8 million street lights in the UK (6 million in England) and this is growing at 1%.  per annum. That means by 2025 there will be 9.5m. The average load is 90W which means 2.6TWh of electricity and 1.3m tonnes of CO2 per year.

20% of all energy in the UK is used for lighting of which 1% is streetlighting. For the average load of 90W, that equates to £40 a year of electricity per light.

This next statement will come as a surprise. Both Philips and Zodion state that 48% of all installed luminaries by number (not wattage) are SOX! SON is 43% by number and the rest are "white light". It seems SOX is not quite as dead as we all thought, I would have thought the number would be half of that. It just goes to show how widespread SOX still is in residential installations.

Simon C's talk covered the following:

* Earliest lighting - candles and oil lamps
* Arc lighting
* Gas lighting
* The early British Standards, the principles of silhouette lighting and the earliest incandescent luminaries
* Iso candela plots
* Principle of cut off in lantern design
* Medium pressure mercury lamps
* Sodium lamps
* Fluorescent lamps
* The evolution of lantern construction
* The end of gas lighting
* The Siemens "Kuwait" lantern family
* Atlas/Thorn and the Alpha 1 and 3
* Birmingham's bespoke lanterns
* Linear sodium - SLI
* SOX, SON
* The 1970s energy crisis and the impact to lighting
* The Philips MA series
* The "combination lantern" - Philips HGS/XGS201 and Thorn Beta 79
* The forgotton Revo mercury iodide lantern - more on this elsewhere later
* The return of fluorescent
* WEEE - which is driving the return to recyclable aluminium lanterns rather than GRP
* LED lanterns - the "first" being the Philips Equinox of 2005.

As I said, I'll be posting elsewhere on the forums with details of some of the other talks.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks for this post! Sounds like the meeting was very informative and you got a lot out of it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 pm 

That sounded like an amazing day. Simon C's presentation sounded like it was really interesting, touching on many topics.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 pm 

sounds interesting... particularly "The Myth of Energy Reduction". I also see somebody from Amey was giving a presentation.

I wonder how Simon C got on with his bit about Birminghams bespoke lanterns (revo precinct's)....

Profile  Personal album