It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Administration

The meassge alert in the banner heading is working - confirmed via a PM I received.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 am 

Right-e-o. I did have to do a bit of tweaking, but it does seem to work now anyway. I need to change the global notice now as the tech. problems seem to have gone. I'll log in to the advanced controls area and change it in a minute.

The other thing I'm working on is getting the Wiki to look Ukastle-ised. I'm almost there, but a couple of menus are floating in the wrong places!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
The other thing I'm working on is getting the Wiki to look Ukastle-ised. I'm almost there, but a couple of menus are floating in the wrong places!

Doing a brilliant job mazeteam! Thanks on behalf of all of us :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 am 

Thanks! Doing the Wiki took ages to get it just this far. there were 2,000 files to upload through FTP to the server - so I went and watched two or three Family Guy episodes, and it was nearly finished uploading once I came back to the PC! Then it took a few hours to customise the template... all in all I wasn't in bed until 6am :shock: the latest I've ever been before that was just before 5...

Anyway, once I can get the Wiki menus to look right and we have a home page for the wiki then I'll take the Notice off, and then the Ukastle website will be officially complete.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 am 

There is now a new Skin available for the forums - which I've codenamed "Ukastle After Dark".
It is based on the 'prosilver' style set for phpbb forums, and so the layout is different from the classic style you may be used to. It's taken me a few weeks and a lot of late nights to get this working properly, but I think everything is in place now (there's just a little niggle I have about the header images at the top not aligning properly, But that's not fixing even with the proper code in place).
The skin is ideal if you prefer light text on a dark background, if you prefer working with the prosilver alignment of messages etc, or if you just want some different colours. The skin will not show for guests and people not logged in.
To change to this new style, go to the User Control Panel, click 'board preferences' and look for "my board style" with a drop down box next to it - on the drop down menu from the box, click PROSILVER and then save any changes.

The header bar still has the same navigation links as before, the footer of every page is the same, the gallery works the same but with the new colours. When you have a PM, the notice for that is shown within the orange and blue tool bar at the top of the forum pages, and peoples' posts on threads have semi transparent backgrounds.

At present, I have no intention of expending this skin to be an option for the rest of the site or the reference section, as this will be too complicated for the time being.

On another note, I am looking into a simple script for the homepage that will poll the forum SQL server for a response, and if it cannot connect to the database then a Notice will be displayed on the home page. This will then serve as a heads-up in case the forums then don't work (and the ref section too). I have also altered the "general error" page for the forums, so it now appears in the classic ukastle style (as opposed to a boring white and grey page), and I have put in a fix so that if the forums aren't working and the general error shows where the POTM should be then it won't completely b*gger up the layout of the home page

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:41 pm 

I think most of us know that on the 12th November that Ukastle is one year old but to coincide with this I would like to suggest an Annual General Meeting (AGM) every year.

If this did go ahead we would (as a team) aim for the cheapest conference suite going (in the region of £30) so that there is enough cash left for some bubbley / light refreshments / hirage of a projector, etc. This would then enhance the useage of the A,M&D visits thread.

Also we would aim to centralise the AGM so that we could all attend prefleble as close as possible to a railway station or a frequent bus service if no rail access is available.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:06 am 

Well, and Annual General Meeting in itself is something which registered organisations, charities, buisnesses etc have to hold each year by law. At the moment, we're not a registered organisation (and to become one would mean we end up having to have a secretary and all the beaurocratic crap that the likes of SABRE had). As for what would essentially be one big meetup for every ukastle member to attend if they wished, this would take a butt load of planning and would be pretty hard to get a good location for everybody (And if we tried to choose a location that was on average a centralised position for all members, then we'd end up on a rig in the North Sea!). If you want to give it a shot and see who'd be interested then fair enough, but I went to a couple of Mike Barfords famous meets - and those were the last he did because he had trouble organising them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:26 am 

The Ukastle 'AGM' would be branded as the UGBM or Ukastle Great Big Meet which would be like an AGM but without the beaurocratic crap which is assoiciated with the anti-everything brigade. Last thing we want is to have a secertary, president, "cash man" and a consitution. ;)

To do it we would choose a boozer and hold it in a different one each year so one year it's up in t'north while the next is darn in the south then the year after in the midlands. It would take a lot of planning but if it works then brilliant.

So for the UKASTLE @ ONE celebrations where would members like to hold it? Ideas please.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:16 pm 

Oooohhh team vs members paintballing would be a good idea..... :twisted:  :twisted:

Yes I am aware that the team would be outnumbered...... :twisted:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 pm 

Oddly enough there is a paintballing course near to me, well its up in Clifton the only downfall is the cost and I don't know the comapny who runs it.

Profile  Personal album