It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:34 pm 
Site Administration

One of the parts of the reference section was indeed to be a glossary. The site team are still exploring the technical aspects of implementing the reference section. Although there could be a lantern ID page, many other sites in the links section have this info already. Simon Cornwell's site for instance already has a huge amount of info on both current and obsolete lanterns and what they look like. Does it need to be duplicated on Ukastle?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 pm 
Random avatar

I just meant we could put maybe a few photos and basic info on some of the more common lanterns as a starting point then perhaps refer to the external links for more info. You know, like people might have Beta 5s in their street and hear about Beta 5s on here but not realise they're the same lantern. That kind of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

REFERENCE SECTION / GLOSSARY

I personally don't have a problem with incorporating a glossary in the reference section. Lantern and Regional factfiles are what is also presently on the agenda. There are websites such as Simon Cornwell's that already have very good descriptions of lanterns, but this section could encompass information from a variety of sources with links/citation at the bottom. This would depend on memory space though as well as the technical aspects of our reference section which is currently being looked into by mazeteam.

DEDICATED NEW MEMBER SECTION

I am going with the majority here and not implementing this. The reasons raised against are the fact there isn't enough streetlighting enthusiasts (compared with other interests) to justify the opening and most new members who join want to get straight into forum discussion.

INDEX LAYOUT / GENERAL CATEGORY

Firstly, I have taken action regarding the naming of 'General Chat'. There is now a description underneath which states "for off-topic discussion" (I believe this is how we used to do it anyhow). I think in order to be consistent, descriptions will go under the remaining forums.

Indust and sotonsteve have raised the issue to where forums such as General Chat and Archive should be placed. I think it is pretty clear that UKASTLE is for streetlighting, so I wouldn't worry too much about people thinking that our priorities aren't straight! But, I do take into account that maybe General Chat being higher than the streetlighting topics is rather silly. If we are going to put archive at the bottom I agree that General Chat and Competition & Games should go with it. I am therefore happy to take more views on this and then act upon it.

SEPARATE SECTION FOR PROFESSIONAL ENTHUSIASTS

The site team have voted that it probably isn't a good idea to segregate discussions. UKASTLE wishes to be as inclusive as possible.

Gramma6, I definately value your point regarding newer members maybe feeling quite overwhelmed by the technical jargon. I think the majority of topics are inclusive by name e.g. "London & SE discussion" and encourage really technical posts are maybe just photos, depending on the member's streetlighting aplitude. If we were to create a separate section, I fear it would cause too many complications. If UKASTLE gets even bigger, maybe we will look at this option in the future :D

REVAMP OF FOR SALE CONTENT

I am happy to take more views on this before reaching a conclusion.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:34 pm 

Interesting developments in 24 hours!!!

I like the idea of moving the streetlight forum up and the rest down. My idea on the newbies area was just for a more personallised welcome area. Nothing more. I respect that we don't have many members yet and it will look bad when it has few topics in.

The dividing things was an idea that seemed good in my head but cannot put it into words on how to describe it without offending..... :oops:

Before I dig the hole any deeper, forget I mentioned it :mrgreen:

Ideas for the forsale forum:

I believe that when admin create the new forum, there is the ability to close the new forum to replies. For this reason, the forsale area should be it's own forum following from the Collections forum. It is up to the team to converse in the secret place that only they know, whether we should have 2 for sale forums.

One for Streetlighting related items and one for general items (Hi-Fi, chairs etc...) I suggest they are member only areas.

For the disable topic reply, it will have to be a seperate area. Not sure if hiding it as a sub forum of the collections forum will be a good idea. It needs to be on the main page for all to see.

By the term forum, it means all the different areas within the main UKASTLE forum. General Streetlighting Discussion, Collections, Lantern Discussions are all classed as various forums.

Also, can we have a chatbox? Seems  nobody else has MSN. Would make organising the nitty gritty of meets more efficient. Takes ages to wait for a reply to a PM usually.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:49 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
One for Streetlighting related items and one for general items (Hi-Fi, chairs etc...) I suggest they are member only areas.

Myself and some members of the Site Team feel it wouldn't be a good idea to have non-streetlighting/lamp/gear related items...they are best dealt with on other forums or eBay, surely? If it really was a one off item it could be done in general chat, but I wouldn't encourage a habit of selling lots of random items on here.

Stelmer wrote:
I believe that when admin create the new forum, there is the ability to close the new forum to replies. For this reason, the forsale area should be it's own forum following from the Collections forum. It is up to the team to converse in the secret place that only they know, whether we should have 2 for sale forums.

I'm not sure why you would want the entire forum locked (i.e. closed to new replies, like Archive is)? If it is down to each individual post locked (to prevent people from replying), then that individual post can be locked. If not then it could be done on trusting the fact that no one will reply unless by PM.

Stelmer wrote:
I like the idea of moving the streetlight forum up and the rest down.

I've just experimented by moving the entire General category underneath Streelighting. It's not actually too bad, so I'm going to keep it there for the whole of Sunday 16th January and await feedback.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm 

Cool.

Should've added that about selling non-streetlight stuff. Forgot to mention that i agree about selling/wanting only streetlight stuff.

The idea I had about locking it for replies would be to ensure that everything is dealt with via PM's. It's up to you if it is decided to keep them open to replies. Perhaps just set it to erase posts older than 30 days?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
The idea I had about locking it for replies would be to ensure that everything is dealt with via PM's. It's up to you if it is decided to keep them open to replies. Perhaps just set it to erase posts older than 30 days?

If this scheme was to go ahead then we would only want replies to be done via PM, as you suggest. So locking is an option we shall look into, but if it is too complicated, the threads can be left unlocked and then it will be a case of informing members that they should only reply by PM and not in the thread.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 pm 

It looks much better now than before, Streetlighting at the top, General and the bottom.

Any older posts should be archived.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 pm 
Random avatar

I still think this section may be best at the top... I don't mean the whole general category, just this Announcements section, and the threads within. But over all, I think it looks loads better, need to get used to it now!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 am 

I agree with Indust. The General area needs splitting.

Perhaps call the first one ''Welcome to UKASTLE and have the Announcements Forum incorporating the forum rules as a sticky, then another forum with Site News and Updates forum.

Then the Streetlighting discussions area

Then this is the interesting bit:

You could call the next header ''Off Topic Area'' or some other appropriate header and perhaps put General chat in that, without the ''For off topic discussions'' sub header and finally, the archive part at the bottom.

Profile  Personal album