It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photo Of The Month
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 pm 

As mentioned in the December's edition of the Photo Of The Month that submissions have declined - a way to stop this decline is to submit one snap rather than the usual two then a Gold, Sliver and Bronze award could be implemented, so that there is no overall winner but a series of winners.

This would work by the following one photo per person, the photo has to be a different one but can be reused after 3 months e.g. one but an image from POTM January could be reused again in April. Points would be used too so a Gold is equal to 5 points, silver 3 and bronze 1. A new competition called Photo of the Season would also be integrated into the current competition.

The usual POTM will still continue but after 3 months those who have won either gold or silver in the previous POTM’s will go head to head for POTS whoever wins that one their photo is automatically entered into POTY so there should be 12 maybe 24 photos to chose from for the year, as time goes on the competition gets harder until POTY then whoever wins POTY is awarded the Ukastle POTY award 20--.

So what does anyone think?

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Photo Of The Month
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 pm 

As it stands at the moment, due to the decline in submissions then I'll be stepping down the POTM to being just on a 2-monthly basis - and likely keeping the 2 photos per member (which in effect is a step down, as two entries per person for a competition spread over 2 months is the same as 1 photo per month).

The Photo of the Season is interesting... though this too has the probability of being under-contributed. What I may do, though, is call in a POTS during a time where a glut of better photos can be obtained - normally during abnormal weather (ie, wall to wall summer sun, or loads of snow).

Other ideas like the Bronze, Silver, Gold awards may have to be discussed with the rest of the management team first...

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:17 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thoughts are still welcome for improvements to the POTM procedure and gallery section. Please tell us what you think - we'd love to hear from you!  :D  If you prefer to discuss privately, please PM mazeteam who is the POTM/gallery co-ordinator.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm 
Random avatar

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask other members' and moderators'/admin opinions on possibly having a page limit per thread. A few of the threads are going to be approaching 200 pages soon and if you are looking for a particular conversation or posts it can be a real challenge to find posts, particularly as threads are forever expanding. Perhaps topics that have about 50 pages could be an idea? Then after that a new one or a "mark II" could be started.. I'm aware there is a search function at the top of the page but that's only really useful for keywords, and you sometimes have to do a lot of trawling through pages anyway.

What do people think?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Administration

Not keen on the idea myself as it will create multiple posts with the same title which will be even more of a nightmare.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 am 
Founder
Random avatar

First off, thanks for the feedback - it's always great to discuss forum issues, particularly in relation to how user friendly the site is.

As it happens I'm going to be doing a bit of archiving this weekend. This will include, for instance, the phasing out of the GSV topic. However, one of the larger issues we face is the functionality of 'search' and its ability to locate posts - it really does depend on the key word.

I think the way forward is by splitting rather than 'mark II' - that way we don't have duplicates, but rather a broad theme split into two smaller themes. I'll look into some possible contenders for splitting, although it will be quite time consuming going through each topic... especially Yorkshire!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:52 am 
Random avatar

I can imagine it might be quite time consuming but thanks for the response guys! :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 am 

I just want to bring up Thread Necromancy - the posting in dead or old threads. This practice is frowned upon on all other forums i'm active in - even a loosley moderated biker forum as it doesn't look professional.

Just an idea to throw at the mods for a more professional, tidier forum. Due to the nature of some threads, they could be classed as exempt. The Vintage Lamps thread for example can be one as exempt, whilst the SLI thread can be considered dead. Then again, you don't want duplicates.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 am 

This is the issue, as neither are particularly ideal.... if we close off an old thread and then a new member joins and has something to contribute then a new thread is opened up and could have content that duplicates the old closed thread; and yet having a thread where the last post was, for example, November 2011, that then jumps to February 2014 could be seen as odd/confusing for some.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Administration

Stelmer wrote:
I just want to bring up Thread Necromancy - the posting in dead or old threads. This practice is frowned upon on all other forums i'm active in - even a loosley moderated biker forum as it doesn't look professional.

Just an idea to throw at the mods for a more professional, tidier forum. Due to the nature of some threads, they could be classed as exempt. The Vintage Lamps thread for example can be one as exempt, whilst the SLI thread can be considered dead. Then again, you don't want duplicates.

I totally disagree. By its very nature, vintage lamps may only get the occasional new posting when a member adds a new vintage lamp to their collection or has a query about older lamps. It should not therefore be shut. Unlike many other forums, the posts on Ukastle are also a source of reference material. The SLI thread is a classic case of a reference thread and one which is not dead.

The mods do archive topics which are unlikely to see new additions. However as Mazeteam mentions, new members may have comments to add to older topics.

What is "annoying" is new members who create duplicate topics without looking first to see if  that topic already exists - a very frequent occurrence!

For the reasons mentioned above your suggestion won't be implemented.

Profile  Personal album