It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 pm 

With the recent issues regarding getting the forum and website established with the '' Professional Enthusiasts'' of the streetlight preservation world, I have several ideas on how to expand and present the forum.

Whilst I agree we have a long way to go, we can drastically alter the initial appearance of the forum and make it more presentable.

:arrow: Change General Chat to Off Topic Chat or Discussion.

:arrow: Introduce a New Members Forum and do away with the one thread for new members. This will give a more personal touch to new members and will look miles better.

:arrow: Possibly introduce seperate discussion areas for hobby enthusiasts like me and professional enthusiasts like Phosco or Claire.

:arrow: Put the Archive at the very bottom of the forum.

:arrow: Hide the collections thread from anyone not logged in. Currently it is visible but not accessible.

:arrow:  Possibly expand the collections area further with things like a dedicated ''For Sale & Wanted forum with a sub heading ''Streetlighting Related Only'' and another one with ''For Sale & Wanted'',  sub heading: ''None streetlight related''. Also ban replies in these areas as any enquiries will be by PM. The seller can delete the thread once sold or an admin can set it to auto delete topics after 30 days. PHB forums have bbcode for a ''FOR SALE'' or ''WANTED'' tag to the title too.

When more come into my mind, I will suggest them. Please PM me if you need visual inspiration as to what I mean. I can provide links to 2 forums that I got these ideas from as that will explain things better.

Last edited by Stelmer on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thank you for your suggestions. The team are always willing to hear from members.

Quote:
Change General Chat to Off Topic Chat or Discussion.

As far as I'm aware this is the case already. Unless you mean the title of the section? Do you feel it would much of a difference? Other professional forums I go on use the title 'General Chat' and then have a description underneath saying something along the lines of "...for off-topic discussion..."

Quote:
Introduce a New Members Forum and do away with the one thread for new members. This will give a more personal touch to new members and will look miles better.

Due to a low traffic of new members I don't feel that this the best idea. I understand sometimes a single thread isn't sufficient enough, but the majority of members have already introduced themselves so there is no going back! We may consider a subforum though - I will see what the other Admins/Mods think. (other members are also welcome to voice opinions)

Quote:
Possibly introduce seperate discussion areas for hobby enthusiasts like me and professional enthusiasts like Phosco or Claire.

I don't quite understand what the main outcome would be in doing this?

Quote:
Put the Archive at the very bottom of the forum.

At present, the archive section is under 'General' because it relates to all forums, especially those which are non-lighting, hence why the decision was made to not place it under 'Streetlighting'. But I understand where you're coming from all the same.

Quote:
Hide the collections thread from anyone not logged in. Currently it is visible but not accessible.

On the older versions of UKASTLE, indeed Collections was completely hidden. The reason behind advertising it on the index page is to encourage members to sign up; it shows that there is more to UKASTLE than the standard forums which are visible to all. But if other members also agree that it is a better idea to hide it, please get in touch.

Quote:
Possibly expand the collections area further with things like a dedicated ''For Sale & Wanted forum with a sub heading ''Streetlighting Related Only'' and another one with ''For Sale & Wanted'', sub heading: ''None streetlight related''. Also ban replies in these areas as any enquiries will be by PM. The seller can delete the thread once sold or an admin can set it to auto delete topics after 30 days. PHB forums have bbcode for a ''FOR SALE'' or ''WANTED'' tag to the title too.

That is not a bad idea Stelmer. We can trial it with subforums within 'Collections' first. I will discuss this idea with the team first and then make some changes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm 
Random avatar

Great suggestions Stelmer!

I personally think it is a good idea to put 'regional topic' threads into sub-forums [if that is available on this forum,] so NE has one, as does NW, SE and SW, and the threads can all go in there.

If this happened, I'd love to see the area fact files back again, I used to really enjoy reading through them and have missed them ever since, as they weren't continued onto new versions of the forum!

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 pm 
Random avatar

Also I would like to see the fact files again maybe I could do a better job of it this time round though.  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
If this happened, I'd love to see the area fact files back again, I used to really enjoy reading through them and have missed them ever since, as they weren't continued onto new versions of the forum!

What do you think the under-construction (potential wiki) reference section is for? :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:21 am 

That reminds me, A page describing Streetlight Preservation (prefer that term more than Enthusiast) and what it means would be good. That could go on the website somewhere.

My idea with creating an area for the Preservationists, or dedicated, die-hard collectors sounded good in my mind but i reality is hard to describe.

My thinking is that when the forum is more established, we can implement more features as we go.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 am 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
My idea with creating an area for the Preservationists, or dedicated, die-hard collectors sounded good in my mind but i reality is hard to describe.

I understand what you mean completely - Well, I think you are saying grouping different levels of enthusiasts together, and sub forums would allow enthusiasts on similar levels to interact with one another without feeling over-shadowed by enthusiasts with more knowledge, so those who just take part for fun may want a dedicated area for discussion, to say, die-hard collectors.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 am 

I know that I'm a preservationist streetlight collector.

The Awayaday's, Meet's and Depot visit's thread should stay open and as a sticky as this makes it easier for those who want to join other members collecting more lanterns and/or more/replacement gear or lamps.  We only have until 20/12/2013 to obtain as many Mercury lamps as possible as they will be banned under the EU regulations after this date.

If a member accidently breaks a lamp or needs a replacement or replacement of gear, we should have 2 spares facility outlets. One for the North and one for the South. This will be included in the thread from now on, as this comes under the 'meet's' part of the thread.

Awayaday's - where members can rescue lanterns from certain places e.g. Chitchester Bus Station.
Meet's - mentioned above
Depot visit's - explains itself clearly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:51 am 

I like these suggestions for an area for the swaps/for sale/ etc of equipment. I don't know whether it's possible in the admin panel to allow thread authors to lock their own topics, but this would be the way to go so that replies in-thread can't be made.

As for a description of lantern collection/preservation - if anybody can create a good paragraph or page describing the activities and reasons for streetlight preservation it can then go under the "page 4" tab on the homepage, or if only a couple of paragraphs can be written then it can go on the homepage itself (under the main welcome paragraph)

The reference section will be the evolution of what was the lantern factfiles... and once that's up and running, that "notice" at the top of the pages will go away! :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 am 

Lets have the paragraph as a competion!

Profile  Personal album