It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best lantern for CCTV
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 pm 

What is the best lantern for use with CCTV?. My younger brother has asked me this and I said I am unsure. Likewise with the wattage.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 pm 

It depends on what the primary objective is. if you want the maximum energy saving, then you use SOX lighting... if you want a clear image where people on screen can be identified, then you need white light such as CFL.... if you want nocturnal illumination of a large area without actually lighting up an area like football pitch, then you get an Infra-red floodlight

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 pm 

Illuminating my path as someone is after torching my brother's moped. So CFL would be the best bet.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm 

Yeah, go for CFL then.
If you're having it on a motion sensor, then the 'light on' time must be minimum of 5 minutes - but ideally CFL should be on dusk-to-dawn sensors because they don't like frequent switching for brief periods of time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 pm 

It needs to be moderately bright, unless you have a B&W camera which will get good results from SOX.

I'd go for a 150w Halogen PIR Floodlight if they are likely to come upto your house. Otherwise i'd run a couple of vandal proof lanterns or even vandal proof fluorescent battens in your alleyway on dusk to dawn operation.

Whatever you put up, you will need to metal cage it and make sure it's pellet proof. Also fit fairly early to reduce chances of the youth being awake and watching you put it up (and smashing it that night)...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm 

If mounting a floodlight when using CCTV, make sure the floodlight is either above or slightly behind the camera - otherwise the glare from the floodlight will detract from image quality.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:16 am 

Outside by brothers bedroom is an old pipe - I can use that to fit a vandalproof lantern to. I think I'll go for the CFL and Halogen as the Halogen can be PIR switched, whereas the CFL can be switched manually.

The passage is going to have a SOX lantern fitted but I am after obtaining a side entry Beta 5 for it, it will be mounted on a bracket which will be attatched to a pipe.

Profile  Personal album