It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stumbled across this video today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FVHxMxu5I&feature=related

I wouldn't recommend doing this to a public street light! He has produced another video about how a modern Danfoss 841 timer works. They usually use these in schools as a 'class change' input into the existing fire alarm system but he demonstrates that such a device can also be used in lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:35 am 

The cutout is a Tofco one... I have a couple of those myself, one being used for the supply to both my test stations in the cabin. The column with a WRTL Arc outside my house also has a tofco cutout like that fitted. Tofco also make a blanker for these cutouts, so that if a column has a '1 in1 out' wiring system and is cut off above the base, the fuse carrier is removed and the blanker inserted so the column is safe and the supply to the next columns are not affected.
Probably not a wise idea to go round fiddling with live columns though - the most I do is stick a "please save" note in columns with mercury lanterns on top... and even then that should only be done if you are experienced with electrics. The guy in the video didn't refit the door properly - at about 1:30 you see the metal Y-plate for the lock is lying on the ground. This should be on the end of the screw thread, so that you put the door on top-first (then push up) then slot the bottom in and let it drop and then tighten the thread with a tri-key... the bloke in the video will have given the game away that the column has been tampered with - and if he is known by the local street lighting team then he'd probably get a knock at the door.... Unless of course this is his own column.

Looking at this guys other videos and his liking of alarm equipment... I bet his neighbours really love him! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:04 pm 

Alex wrote:

I wouldn't recommend doing this to a public street light! He has produced another video about how a modern Danfoss 841 timer works. They usually use these in schools as a 'class change' input into the existing fire alarm system but he demonstrates that such a device can also be used in lighting.

It also demonstrates what a complete idiot he is; ...and he could even be bothered to re-secure the column door.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:31 pm 
Random avatar

Claire wrote:
Alex wrote:

It also demonstrates what a complete idiot he is; ...and he could even be bothered to re-secure the column door.

Yeah he's probably some daft kid who knows far too much about electrical equipment but not much about safety!  :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:56 pm 

Yeah, that's what I said... you can clearly see the Y plate lying on the ground. The comments are about doing things to not raise suspicions, and then he leaves a bit of the lock lying on the ground! In the video he also says something about lowering the column to do something with a CCTV camera, and the column came down with a huge CLANG and woke everybody up... sounds like a bit of a numpty if you ask me. I have handled mid hinged columns myself (on private grounds where I maintain internal and external lighting), and the very first time I needed to lower the columns I could see the loop for attaching a control rope - it's not exactly brain surgery!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 pm 

I predict many years of painful lessons for the lad...... :twisted:  :mrgreen:  :whistling: :roll:

Profile  Personal album