It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Toolstation & mercury
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:39 pm 
Random avatar

Thought this may be of interest to some..
I stumbled across some mercury fittings and lamps in the toolstation catalogue. Theres a 125w floodlight, 80w wall mounted light, 400w lowbay luminaire, and replacement lamps.
Heres a link to the online catalogue page....
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/Commercial+Lighting/d220/sd2768

Interesting to see mercury fittings and lamps still being sold on the 'mainstream' market.
Not sure if branches carry the items, or just mail order. I'll pop in the Cardiff branch next week and check it out.

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:15 am 
Random avatar

AIUI mercury lighting is still used on roadsign lights, petrol station forecourt lighting, lowbay lighting and a few other applications. LED lighting is starting to replace it now that the announcement has been made that mercury lamps will be phased out in 2013(?). Shame really, as I'm sure mercury is a lot more reliable and effective than current LED technology but obviously it's much less efficient.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 am 

Mercury lighting is still installed by a few private companies and organisations. For example, the most recent casual replacements at my local supermarket have been mercury, even though in the 1990s they used a handful of metal halide ZX3s. There is a church car park even closer to me which has recently replaced its Thorn Areaflood mercury floodlight with a new mercury floodlight.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 pm 

Great to know mercury lighting still isn`t completely dead, not just yet anyway.

You can still get mercury Nordex Astra lanterns too. I bought one of those from that site a couple of years ago, purely for the novelty of still being able to buy a brand new mercury lantern, while all around the country they are disappearing fast. Even the new motorway gantry signs along the M4 near here seem to be lit with warm-white ceramic metal-halide lamps now (could be Cosmo lamps even, I find it almost impossible to tell). It looks quite strange and doesn`t exactly compliment the blue colour of the signs, but I guess that`s the future.

I installed a mercury wall light on the outside of our office earlier this year, one of those brown bulkheads with the in-built photocell. And the three low-bays inside all burn 250 watt mercury lamps. Used to be SON, couldn`t bear it. They aren`t used all that frequently so should last for years and years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:26 am 
Random avatar

They do a 400w mercury Nordex Astra, i bet the bowl don't last long :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
Random avatar

My university has 250w mercury burning Thorn 7418 and Tamlite lanterns, and I believe these were only installed a few years ago.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:33 pm 

Looks like Doncaster's nearest one to me. I do really wonder what is going to happen with the excess unsold MBF lamps as they can't be disposed of in general waste because of the mercury.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:00 pm 

Another user of Mercury are McDonald's. They are currently refitting all their restaurants. The entrance and outdoor seating area have rather attractive Post Top 125W MBF lanterns fitted. I think they're 125W, not 80W as the lamp is too big for the latter.

I bet these lanterns were the cheapest choice at the time. Usually companies are short sighted and do not plan for the long term in massive projects. I doubt they'll be re-lamped before the ban comes in so i'm expecting these lanterns to look tired in a few years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Administration

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Looks like Doncaster's nearest one to me. I do really wonder what is going to happen with the excess unsold MBF lamps as they can't be disposed of in general waste because of the mercury.

They will just get recycled as they do now for old lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm 

Might be an idea to contact some of the retaillers days before the ban to see what they're doing with the lamps. Likewise with McDonalds it may be an idea to keep an eye on those lantern to see what happens... they may get replaced, converted to LED/CFL, or *ughghghg* SON.....

Toolstation's Merc lamps are £1.69 each. I wonder if that's an E27 cap of a 3BC... the price itself seems reasonable. Obviously not as good as buckshee, but still not bad.

Profile  Personal album