It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:02 pm 
Random avatar

I removed some old Revo gear from a dead column on the former hospital site, it is in quite good condition, It used to be wired up to a Revo Ludicor which I belive was 90watt SOX, however the ballast says it's for 140 watt L.P.F lamps. I don't know much about SOX gear, I also removed the capacitor, this is too Revo. Does anyone have any idea what it is. I belive the installation is around 30 years old, but I can't be sure.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Administration

Before SOX came around in the late 1960s there were sodium lamps with an arc tube which was removable from an outer vacuum tube. These were later replaced by lamps with an integral (non removable) arc tube - SOI. SOX refers to the reflective coating on the inner of the outer tube. SOI didn't have this heat reflective coating and so were less efficient. After the SOX lamp had been out a couple of years the inner reflective coating was improved, reducing heat loss, allowing the lamp to run at a lower rating.

90W SOX, replaced 100W SOX which in turn replaced 140W SOI lamps.

Your ballast predates SOX so must be prior to 1968 when SOX first came into use.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 pm 
Random avatar

I powered up the gear with a 90 watt SOX bulb attached, it buzzed straight into life and the lamp warmed normally. So the gear is fine after over 10 years with no power at all!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 am 

Actually, I've got an old Revo leak transformer somewhere... I fished it out of an old column in a concrete column cemetary where a few have been dumped. This one was in a column base home to an ants nest, but the column door was still on so it hasn't been rained on. There's no label and I've never yet tested it, despite getting it a few years ago.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 am 
Random avatar

Mine still had the terminal numbering on although it is starting to rust in a few places; it still works fine. I also believe it run a 55 watt SOX lamp, is this possible?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Administration

35/55W and 135/180W are the usual combinations. 55W lamps run at a different current to 90W lamps so that combination would be unusual - but anything is possible...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm 
Random avatar

The ballast allows for 250,240,230,220volts although you have to wire it according to the numbers on the front. I believe it would have been 90watt originally but has then been replaced with 55watt as the Daleks of the same age are 55watt SOX. The lamp replacement could of been carried out by the hospitals grounds team and that could be the possible reason. The reason I know it was 55watt is because I found a 55watt lamp that had fallen out of a Lucidor. However the bayonet pins had snapped and the inner tube was shattered.

Profile  Personal album