It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
What lit the M606 in the 90's? I remember the columns being quite shabby but I can't remember if it was lit with SOX or SON.

I remember that too, I think they were lit with MA's as I use to go up that way every Sunday afternoon visiting relitives.

Off topic but to do with the M606, Some lad who I worked with knew the bloke who designed the M606, he was from Wakefield. The bloke had no idea on designing a motorway, look carefully on a map and you'll see the motorway was planned to go through the middle of the Town hall in Bradford!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 pm 
Random avatar

This is a really interesting topic. It's something I've often wondered about myself. Yesterday I was walking down a road in Poulton and I noticed that at the start of the road and about halfway-down it was lit with Stanton 7B columns of the old round-based variety, yet the rest of the road (and the vast majority) was the newer slimline variety. How could that happen? There are loads of examples of this in the area.

Some roads have a mixture of Stanton 7 and 10 columns and until the 80s the 7s were fitted with mercury lanterns and the 10s were fitted with fluorescent lanterns which, seeing as they were often both in the same road and were of a similar age, is quite strange. It's like having a road with a mixture of LED and CFL lighting today, it just wouldn't look right!

Wyre Borough recently renewed a lot of their side road lighting. Previously the vast majority of these roads were fitted with 20+ year old WRTL SRL8s (or GEC Z8330s) but the replacement for these lanterns has become a bizarre mixture of either new SRL8s, 2600s, Vectras or even Stelas! Some roads haven't had their old lanterns replaced at all! One road near me actually has a mixture of new Vectras and 2600s on the same road! At least they're all WRTL lanterns so they're loyal in that respect. Wyre Borough replacement schemes have always been like this in the last 15 years or so. When they replaced the many surviving Beta 8s in Fleetwood about 5 years ago, instead of just using one lantern they used a mixture of 2600s, Vectras and SGS 203s! I like it though as it adds a bit of variety to proceedings. Much better than Blackpool and it's street after street of boring Evolvos!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
Much better than Blackpool and it's street after street of boring Evolvos!

Did you mean to call the lanterns that, or is that a mistype that is humerously apt? :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 pm 
Random avatar

I thought that's what they were called  :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:26 pm 

:lol:  :lol: Evolo... as in evolution. I presume that's why the name is used anyway - as opposed to being compared to a swedish automobile which you can't turn off the headlights of! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:50 pm 

Nah it's called the Evolvo when it dayburns as the photocell has failed :lol:

As for the Volvo, there is a switch under the drivers seat which can turn the lights off in the day time. Reason I know is because my old man use to work for BCA.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
:lol:  :lol: Evolo... as in evolution. I presume that's why the name is used anyway - as opposed to being compared to a swedish automobile which you can't turn off the headlights of! :lol:

Thanks for correcting me!  ;)  Yes, Evolo is a much nicer name! I didn't think modern Volvos still did that, but I digress!  :mrgreen: