It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

'Drunken Streetlight' (Retweeted by @UKASTLE)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:13 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Some new examples on Twitter (retweeted by @UKASTLE)

https://twitter.com/esotouric/status/933393456600363008

https://twitter.com/Karmelic/status/933260752923762688

https://twitter.com/SherryEkdawy/status/939598137584263169

https://twitter.com/HersheyPA/status/944549926209556480

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:05 pm 
Site Administration

This may have been mentioned before. I'm not exactly a fan, a perfectly good lantern, and the rare over shoe type as well, that could have been restored with a new glass to make a cutoff Z8420 variant, even if was originally a bowled Z8426 type.

Also the buyer is completely out on the age of the lantern, although I suspect that is part of the sales patter.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
a perfectly good lantern, and the rare over shoe type as well, that could have been restored...

An interesting example of "upcycling" and certainly better than some of the horrors which have been listed via this online marketplace. Could this sort of thing be a possible topic in the Ebay thread?

I can't be the only person who has despaired at some of the efforts of late. Often it is down to plain ignorance on the part of the seller, who thinks that no one will be interested in an old street lantern, unless it has been shotblasted to oblivion and shoehorned onto an old theodolite tripod. Similar examples include vintage lamp brackets such as swan necks, which have been chopped down and turned into desk lamps.

Whilst I have seen some thoughtful adaptations in the past, these are the exception. Usually the thing that lets the side down, is where good intentions are spoiled by clumsy (or in some cases just plain dangerous) workmanship. I always get slightly worried when the listing includes the phrase "this lamp has been completely rewired by a professional electrician", when a close look at the pictures shows the work as anything but professional.

One such listing which was for a 1960s enamelled trough reflector. The original 65/80W control gear portion was not evident and was therefore replaced by a 58W HF ballast (which looked as if it had seen service elsewhere). This would have been a worthwhile enterprise, had the ballast been sympathetically mounted and wired. Unfortunately it was not; having been crudely screwed onto the enamel reflector alongside the lamp, with cheap fixings and cable ties! The crude terminal block used to extend the wire merely adds further insult from the "electrician" who undertook this work.
Attachment:
fluoro1.jpg
fluoro1.jpg [ 228.72 KiB | Viewed 25758 times ]

Certainly not worth the £125 asking price.

Whilst it could be argued that in the current market, there is a demand for industrial inspired tat shabby chic, I think that sellers should first ask themselves whether a vintage lantern etc would be a better prospect if offered "as found". It would save a lot of needless effort for both the seller and the purchaser, whose first task would be to try  and rectify the damage done!

Whilst suggestions to a new use are welcome, I would say let the buyer decide what the new function of an old item should be - not the seller.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:06 am 

Here we are, the perfect accessory for the bedroom. Ideal for folk with more than a passing interest in street lighting, yet who may struggle to get a good nights sleep!

"Street Lamps Light Perspective Photo Wallpaper Wall Mural"
Attachment:
bedson1 (2).jpg
bedson1 (2).jpg [ 178.71 KiB | Viewed 25151 times ]

Certainly more interesting than counting sheep - the lanterns look like Philips SGS203s.

Seriously though, the listing indicates it is available to special order, to suit a variety of wall sizes. Obviously it can be expensive if you have really big walls, however the seller is also offering a sample sheet of the same photo (104cm x 70cm) for only a tenner.

Might be nice to pop in a frame or similar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am 
Site Administration

It's been surprisingly well done, digital manipulation of real street light images, rather than something "made up from scratch".

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm 

I think there may be a street light art installation somewhere with SGS203s. There is a chance it is real rather than digital manipulation.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
I think there may be a street light art installation somewhere with SGS203s. There is a chance it is real rather than digital manipulation.

If it does exist in real life, I wonder if the SGSs have since been replaced by Luma's?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 pm 

In Queen's Park in Southampton, about a year or two ago some Indo RD12 lanterns were fitted to columns within the park, replacing oversized Philips Luma 1s which were installed as part of the PFI (which in turn replaced GEC Z5580 mercury lanterns on cast iron columns). The Indo RD12 lanterns are of the optional RGB LED variety. In normal operation, despite giving out an approximately 4000K white light, you can make out the different constituent colours if you look at the lanterns at the LED chips, much like an Innolumis fitting if anybody has seen one of those.

Over the past week, Southampton has been celebrating Pride. Using the CMS, the lanterns in this park have had the colour of their lighting changed, such that different lanterns light up different colours. Colours visible were pure red, pure green, pure blue, pink, cyan, a more orangey yellow and a more greeny yellow. One lantern still seemed to be illuminating 4000K white. They weren't colour changing during operation, and each lantern appeared to be lighting up the same colour every night, although theoretically they could be made to do this.

It's not my first time seeing LED street lighting with RGB chips thanks to seeing some Innolumis installations, but it is my first time seeing some that have been made to change colour. The lighting installation appeared to be attracting interest from the public when I visited, adding a bit of interest to an otherwise conventional scene.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 am 
Site Administration

Not strictly streetlighting, but definitely art and a way to recycle your old fluorescent tubes. Spotted in a restaurant in the US.

Probably 4ft tubes - they look new rather than used. LED lamps are used inside the tubes.

And if you have a surplus of 6ft tubes, you can make an impressive chandelier!  :D

I might have to "raid" the old tube bin at the local household waste centre....

Profile  Personal album