It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
Random avatar

1000w is already been made.
I bet its already in use on a motorway somewhere!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:08 am 

I think they use it in America.

I don't think I really need to say any more than that really...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
I think they use it in America.

I don't think I really need to say any more than that really...

That said, isn't American lighting spaced further apart? I've never been to America to be honest but when you look at TV programmes or films from over there the lighting levels often look very poor!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm 

Spacings are generally considerably larger in America, and they don't use lighting as much in general. However, they have no concept of lamp wattage to mounting height ratios, so an 8m column may be fitted with as little as 70w SON or as much as 1000w SON. Where I visited they used 100w SON at 8m in residential areas and 250w SON at 8m in more important streets.

American standards are very third world, and that doesn't just apply to lighting. I have been electrocuted on many occasions over there with their power sockets. Sometimes gravity is enough to make power plugs fall out of the wall sockets, and the only safety feature their power plugs and sockets have is having plastic casings. If the prongs are slightly in the socket they go live and it is very easy to touch the live prongs. Electrical wiring is nowhere near as regulated as in Europe either. Lots of wiring that dates from the 1960s in buildings of that vintage that just doesn't get replaced until it fails, power cut or fire, whatever it brings it seems. And then there was the restaurant I went to with sagging yellow ceiling tiles, slashed seat cushions and yellowed wallpaper peeling off the wall severely. Health and safety eat your heart out.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:28 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
And then there was the restaurant I went to with sagging yellow ceiling tiles... and yellowed wallpaper peeling off the wall severely. Health and safety eat your heart out.

Sounds like a few of my classrooms. :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Administration

sotonsteve wrote:
And then there was the restaurant I went to with sagging yellow ceiling tiles... and yellowed wallpaper peeling off the wall severely. Health and safety eat your heart out.

He hangs out in all the classy places... :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Spacings are generally considerably larger in America, and they don't use lighting as much in general. However, they have no concept of lamp wattage to mounting height ratios, so an 8m column may be fitted with as little as 70w SON or as much as 1000w SON. Where I visited they used 100w SON at 8m in residential areas and 250w SON at 8m in more important streets.

American standards are very third world, and that doesn't just apply to lighting. I have been electrocuted on many occasions over there with their power sockets. Sometimes gravity is enough to make power plugs fall out of the wall sockets, and the only safety feature their power plugs and sockets have is having plastic casings. If the prongs are slightly in the socket they go live and it is very easy to touch the live prongs. Electrical wiring is nowhere near as regulated as in Europe either. Lots of wiring that dates from the 1960s in buildings of that vintage that just doesn't get replaced until it fails, power cut or fire, whatever it brings it seems. And then there was the restaurant I went to with sagging yellow ceiling tiles, slashed seat cushions and yellowed wallpaper peeling off the wall severely. Health and safety eat your heart out.

Look like i won't be going to the US for the next 300 years then.  :lol:  Someone who i know has installed BS standard plugs in their house in Hungary so that they won't have this problem of near electrocution or worse still, death.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:10 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:

I never saw them lit so I don't know what wattage they were but in Arrecife in Lanzarote, nearly every street had 8m curvy columns with Cobrahead-type lanterns down it, be it a residential side street or main road, narrow street or wide road. It was strange to see such blanket lighting like that!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 pm 

I wouldn't knock this high wattage lighting on the motorways too much. It now means that I can get a decent sun tan holidaying in the UK; that is, as long as I travel there by road at night.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 pm 
Random avatar

Claire wrote:
I wouldn't knock this high wattage lighting on the motorways too much. It now means that I can get a decent sun tan holidaying in the UK; that is, as long as I travel there by road at night.

Haha, well depending on how many outages there are. If you go on the M25 you'll probably just get sunburnt on one arm, and get weird blotches on the other!

Profile  Personal album