It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:32 am 

Leeds will be feeling the pain in the next fiscal year what with their choice for SON. The cost of electricity is going up, so Leeds has on this occasion shot themselves in the foot by SON-ifing most of the city. I will admit there is white light used around Crossgates as I've seen it myself.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:38 pm 
Random avatar

Very true USL. Leeds undertook one of the earlier PFIs, most of which used SON. Perhaps if they'd left it a few years they would now be installing white light sources which, if done properly (not like Blackpool) would potentially be saving them money!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:47 pm 

White light sources don't necessarily save money, being sensible saves money. For example, in Hampshire there is a street near me where PFI replacements have happened. The old lighting was 180W SOX with 150W SON casual replacements. There are fewer columns with the new lighting scheme, and the lanterns are 150W SON, but most of them are dimmed down to 100W SON. If you look at power consumption it has probably nearly halved just by being sensible, and that is with a SON lighting solution. That is an extreme case of where a huge power saving has been delivered with SON, but it goes to show how far you can go. The road in question is still uniformily lit, it's just that it isn't as bright as it was before.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Random avatar

I quite agree that even sensible installations of SON can save money. Lancashire County Council have been replacing a lot of their old 70w SON lanterns (most of which were on 5m columns) with new 50w SON lanterns. They still light the street to a decent degree, even though the street is noticeably dimmer. As some of the streets have very little in the way of pedestrians or traffic at 7pm, never mind 3am, this seems to be a fair compromise. The only baffling thing is why they haven't done it on all side roads. There is one side road near me which still retains it's 70w SON even though neighbouring (and busier streets) now have 50w SON lanterns. There are pockets of unreplaced lighting like this all over my borough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Administration

Wiltshire proposes to extend part night lighting.

Well my village has it, as do several A roads in the county. In Swindon (unitary council and not controlled by Wilts despite being in Wilts) it was planned to do the same, and then was reversed after “protests”.

Of course, the council spokesman has missed the point again:

Quote:

"We believe significant savings can be made by switching to efficient LED lighting and we have previously proposed this but it was turned down.

"Much of financial and carbon savings proposed by the council could be achieved this way."

Well it was quite right to turn LED conversion down. Yes LED will save some carbon compared to the existing lighting, but the greatest carbon saving is by turning the lighting off in the first place.

And while energy costs will be lower by conversion to LED, you have to take into the account the cost of buying and fitting those LED lanterns. Which as I proved with the case of Bath in the SW thread a few weeks ago, the cost of the lanterns far outweighed the energy costs saved - It would take Bath 57 years to recoup the investment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 pm 

If Wiltshire's current stock is mainly SON and MH then conversion to CFL using budget lanterns like Thorn Jets would make notable savings.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Administration

Wiltshire council is in the process of a consultation with respect to part night operation of street lighting.

My own village requested this 2 years ago and we have had part night lighting for the last 18 months - this is our 2nd winter with part night lighting.

Another parish within Salisbury has voted 69% for, 31% against part night with a response of 32%. This scheme will turn off just 20 lights along 1 minor road. It therefore seems that in Salisbury at least, part night operation is not a contentious issue - probably as we are in a rural location and all approach roads are unlit until you reach the city boundary. More here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Administration

More on the Wilts part night scheme here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Administration

BBC South Today led on the Dorset part nighting in residential areas with the usual "scare mongering". Never mind it was mentioned on Ukastle months ago.

The dimming of the South Coast PFI was also mentioned, Reading in Berks are going for the approach of using new low energy fittings where as Berkshire are planning to part night some of the lighting along the A4 said the report.

Funny how the part nighting in Wiltshire both in the south and the north west of the county (which hasn't caused any public outcry), wasn't mentioned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Administration

Bath LED conversion stalls.

Profile  Personal album