It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:32 pm 

If your lucky enough to see it in person or on TV, for stage two on Sunday, you may see the unknown LED lanterns in Huddersfield, the out of place ZXs at Langsett and the the Eleco 'Ways' of Bradfield, Sheffield.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 pm 

Following in the footsteps of Yorkshire and Derbyshire at the weekend, it was Cambridgeshire, Essex and London's turn to put on a show for the Tour de France today. Here's how Trumpington Street in Cambridge looked this morning when the race set off:

Photograph by David Johnson. You can see his Cambridge News photo gallery here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Administration

Ryde Pier on the Isle of Wight is 200 years old, the oldest in the UK.  BBC South Today ran the story on tonight's bulletin. There was this brief shot, probably from the mid 1960s of a twin bracket Stanton 6C column with GEC Clearmains.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 pm 
Site Administration

Following on from this and the recent fire at Eastbourne Pier, more evidence of GEC Clearmains on the Isle of Wight, this time at Shanklin.

This image is from the article.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:49 pm 
Site Administration

From the BBC news website this article about the work of photographer Shirley Baker. There are some excellent street scenes from yesteryear.

Scroll down the page from the link to see Eleco HW852 "Ware" and Phosco P152 lanterns looking almost new on cast iron columns as well as Beta 5s on Concrete Utilities columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 am 

I remember when the "Walford" outdoor set of Eastenders was being constructed in Elstree. Amongst the final "finishing touches", was the purchase of several redundant concrete columns from the local council. As I'm sure you'll remember, they were fitted with top entry lanterns, which I think were by GEC. Their later replacements seem to be more difficult to identify, but at least are mirroring "real life" due to the Cosmo type lighting which now prevails.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:30 pm 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
I remember when the "Walford" outdoor set of Eastenders was being constructed in Elstree. Amongst the final "finishing touches", was the purchase of several redundant concrete columns from the local council. As I'm sure you'll remember, they were fitted with top entry lanterns, which I think were by GEC. Their later replacements seem to be more difficult to identify, but at least are mirroring "real life" due to the Cosmo type lighting which now prevails.

As has been discussed previously, the current longstanding Eastenders lighting in Albert Square consists of what appear to be bowl-less Beta 5s fitted with halogen lamps. There is also an Eleco HW918 with a halogen lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 am 
Random avatar

Speaking of lighting used in soaps; earlier this year Coronation Street moved to it's new Media City outdoor set. It was nice to see that the lighting used on the street had been replicated (WRTL 2600) albeit with the columns now located to the back of the pavement, rather than forward.

Even the cast iron columns at the end of the street and end of the back ginnel have been replicated.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 pm 

Like many others on Ukastle, I often find myself looking at old films and programmes. Understandably, where location shots are included, it is always interesting to look beyond the actors and plot and see what was installed on the streetlighting front.

Whilst I'm certain many old favourites are already common knowledge here, I can recommend three more which are worthy of a revisit.

1. The wrong arm of the law - 1963. Starring Peter Sellers, Bernard Cribbins and other comedy actors of the period. This is a good film which is also useful for spotting vintage streetlighting. Some of the filming was done around Uxbridge and Teddington. One of the more notable varieties which can be seen are GEC Dioptrions.

2. The Plank - 1967. Starring Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper. Another good film notable by its absence of proper dialogue. In one scene, a recently built housing estate forms the backdrop. The street is lit by GEC Z8260 fluorescent lanterns, a design which became British Rail's standard choice for all of its station platforms.

3. The Boys from the Black stuff - 1982. This seminal drama series was written by Alan Bleasdale. The pilot for the series formed an episode of  "Play for today". With the majority of the filming on location, there are many opportunities to spot some once commonplace lanterns including "bricks", Alpha 5 and 6s as well as some very localised Liverpool specimens. All are found amongst the shattered communities that were existing in the early 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I've had a heads up from a certain Mike we all know with regards to a programme about LED lanterns, which is on Quest tonight:

HOW STUFF'S MADE (SERIES 4): How do street lights burn for 30 years without a new light bulb

Freeview: Channel 37
Satellite: Channel 167
Cable: Channel 172

Profile  Personal album