It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Administration

My hunch about the lanterns in  this image dating from the late 1950s proved to be correct.

Today I went up the Bracknell to get some pictures, on the wall of the building on the right of the image was this:

What I still don't know is when they were swapped out for the GECs. More from Bracknell elsewhere...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 pm 

Basildon was another post-war new town that latched onto the 'modern' fluorescent' lighting era:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chinfield ... 1RP-nLdHgM

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 pm 
Site Administration

This Stanton 8 column in Crawley has recently been replaced, but not as part of the PFI. A new development of a hotel and supermarket has resulted in the developers upgrading the lighting in the vicinity. 10m light grey painted columns with grey Arcs have been fitted.

A fellow enthusiast has provided information that the columns originally had AEI post top fluorescents. The  Frances Frith collection has a picture showing those fluorescents in exactly the same location - shame about the corner "banner" on the image.

The fluorescents were latter replaced by GEC ZD10547 octagonal "saucers". Just by chance last week due to a diversion caused by a traffic jam, I stumbled on the last survivor in this location. Originally it would have been running MBF, but is now SON.

Also in the background of the Frances Frith image are some Stanton columns with GEC Z8454 fluorescent lanterns. Amazingly the same columns still survive but now with GEC Z5698U lanterns, originally SOX but now running SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:05 am 
Site Administration

The discussion about concrete column manufacture has been moved to the existing topic here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:43 pm 
Random avatar

Scottish new Town of East Kilbride circa late 50's early 60s. Anyone recognise the column type or Lantern.?Many of these columns still in East Kilbride with sodium lanterns now though.

Attachments:
File comment: Scottish new Town of East Kilbride circa late 50's early 60s. Anyone recognise the column type or Lantern.?Many of these columns still in East Kilbride with sodium lanterns now though.
IMG_1157.PNG
IMG_1157.PNG [ 539.46 KiB | Viewed 17855 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:36 pm 
Site Administration

These brilliant pictures of 25ft Stewart and Lloyd columns with 5ft fluorescent lanterns in Stevenage during "the 1950s", were in a report on tonight's BBC News at 6pm.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm 
Random avatar

Stuall wrote:
Scottish new Town of East Kilbride circa late 50's early 60s. Anyone recognise the column type or Lantern.?Many of these columns still in East Kilbride with sodium lanterns now though.

These look the same as (or very similar to) the Stewart & Lloyd metal columns I saw when I visited Strathaven (pronounced "Stray-ven") which is near East Kilbride. They now have beta two lanterns on them, which means lighting levels are rather plentiful given the low height of the lanterns. The majority of the swan neck brackets appear to have stayed. Some are older lanterns, like the GEC nightwatch, which suggests the mercury was culled at least 15-20 + years ago.

In fact, your image might be good enough for me to do a "now and then" mashup as the street I visited looked very similar to the above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:09 am 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Bracknell in Berkshire which was designated a new town in 1949, is soon to have its 1960s shopping arcades demolished for redevelopment.

Vintage photos showed that it originally had similar lighting to other new towns of that era. The original lighting is all long gone.

GEC 845X series 2ft fluorescent post top lantern circa 1965 in one of the arcades to be demolished.

AEI fluorescent post tops in another part of the same arcade.

GEC Z5644 in another part of the town.

Well ok I am 10 years late but the last GEC Z5644 were replaced in Bracknell were replaced in 2018. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Xb78DihTqESLvrv36?g_st=ic This one survived into early 2018 with the Luma being installed in late 2017. There were a few of these about Bracknell pre LED conversion.
I don’t know if any survives now but I hope I will find one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:04 pm 
Random avatar

Well guess what. I just found one surviving. Possibly the last GEC Z5644 left in Bracknell in a garage block on Bay Road. https://maps.app.goo.gl/WrPuYfasMBDzNRMy9?g_st=ic