It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lamppost falling
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:43 am 

Kirklees will no doubt be out then checking other columns to see if any need replacing. Calderdale use the same type of columns too so what with this happening, I won't be too suprised to see half of Clifton's lighting stock replaced as that village has the same column type.

---

I know that a column at the 'back door' of Horsham's railway station has a base sleeve and I think a few in Pulborough have them too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 am 
Random avatar

We have a lot of those type of columns in my area. I've never heard of any falling due to the mentioned problem however when the structural testers have been around there have been several of these columns condemned and replaced, much more than the old, sturdier Stanton columns.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Administration

Inquest into death of baby hit by failing lamp post. It appears that the column had an offset/cantilevered root arrangement like this, and the plate was cut through.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am 

Surely if the road was being prepared to lay cables, then an X-ray device would have been used to scan first before any cutting was done. Amey Wakefield had to do that with every installation they did for the PFI to ensure they didn't disturb anything hidden below the surface....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:35 am 
Site Administration

It is not X-rays that are used. The CAT type devices detect the electric fields given off by live cables and the change in frequency coupling by dead cables/other metal work.

They should always be used prior to excavation, but it appears the metal plate of the root was across the trench - it would have been detected if a CAT was used - but it was then cut through after the trench was opened. According to the press article, the column and plate spacing was almost the same as my image. Makes you wonder about competence of the worker...especially since he has been disciplined by his own employers.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Administration

Accidental verdict returned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

To me it highlights a safety issue with having column foundations like that. Everything is safe until an accident happens, and to me having a foundation like this opens up more scope for error than conventional planted or bolted foundations. I bet over 90% of contractors have no idea that column foundations like that even exist. Accidental verdict returned, but perhaps in hindsight the foundation design is slightly flawed in that respect, and this is the first case to prove that.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Administration

Well a bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss. With a lump of steel so close to a column, further excavation should have been carried out. You don't just go disc cutting buried lumps of metal.

The example in my image was used as services in the pavement being in the way. No other front/back pavement positioning was possible, and of course, left/right repositioning may not be possible if the services run along the pavement.

With increasing pressure to prevent traffic delays by road works, services are increasingly being relocated to pavements. The only exception being main sewer pipes which are physically too big. The problem is only going to get worse in the future as everything gets "wired".

Offset root columns are nothing new as shown in this 1958 Stanton 8F catalogue. Better training, education and awareness as a result of this tragic case will hopefully prevent a reoccurrence in the future.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:48 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The example in my image was used as services in the pavement being in the way. No other front/back pavement positioning was possible, and of course, left/right repositioning may not be possible if the services run along the pavement.

Well, except for one-for-one replacement, but knowing London they would be sick at the thought.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 pm 
Random avatar

There are lots of cases like this in the water industry where developers dig up old cast iron water mains, think they're dead and put an excavator through them to find out they burst and then land their company with a large fine. With simple surveys these sort of problems can be solved.

I read this article the other day and I would say the blame lies not only with the worker who cut the steel plate but with the contractor / council as markings should have been made. His excuse of saying he thought it was a tram track is like saying he found an electric cable which he thought was dead so took a sthil saw to it.

Profile  Personal album