It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lamppost falling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:45 pm 
Random avatar

When a damaged steel column or a cracked concrete one is reported the council here usually grind either the bracket off or the column off just above the door and then bag the door up until a replacement is made, any sign of cracking and this happens straight away, they used to sleeve a few years ago but it never happens these days.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 pm 

There's a few round here that have been cut and bagged.  believe that MPH Testing have been out recently and been testing a lot of columns in the Tadcaster Road, Bishopthorpe Road, Nunnery Lane triangle (and all streets in between)... as there are quite a good number of Stewart and Lloyd type columns with replacements alongside, or only the old column bases remain... the bases having had to be left in place as they'd still contain a live service cable. I believe there is still a column base in the village of Wheldrake that is still live - I tested it a few weeks back with my tester and it was live. The door lock is fine though so it should be safe for the time being.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 am 

Going back to an earlier post I made about a concrete column near me being replaced - this is a close-up picture of the two columns... and that peeling concrete has been like that for a while.
Attachment:
File comment: spalling concrete
DSC01367.JPG
DSC01367.JPG [ 48.37 KiB | Viewed 19532 times ]

This road, Huntington New Lane, has a few new columns that have popped up... and I think there may be mroe to come, as a few of the concretes are getting lazy and leaning backwards toward a field behind the columns.

On another nearby street, Barfield Road, a concrete there has considerable spalling around the join of the column and bracket - possibly the concrete seal is breaking away. A few columns on from that is a concrete column base but no replacement column. However, youths are a nuisance in some of the streets in this area and so the crews are wary of entering the area.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
Going back to an earlier post I made about a concrete column near me being replaced - this is a close-up picture of the two columns... and that peeling concrete has been like that for a while.
Attachment:
DSC01367.JPG

This road, Huntington New Lane, has a few new columns that have popped up... and I think there may be mroe to come, as a few of the concretes are getting lazy and leaning backwards toward a field behind the columns.

Blimey, it almost looks as if the column has a flourish at the top where it meets the bracket, whereas in reality it's the thinning concrete on the bracket that has created that effect!

A while back in my area there was a spate where seemingly random concrete columns with no sign of any damage or wear and tear would have a metal column plonked next to them all over the place! I was always puzzled as most of the columns didn't seem to have anything wrong with them but they must have failed some sort of structural assessment I guess.

Quote:
On another nearby street, Barfield Road, a concrete there has considerable spalling around the join of the column and bracket - possibly the concrete seal is breaking away. A few columns on from that is a concrete column base but no replacement column. However, youths are a nuisance in some of the streets in this area and so the crews are wary of entering the area.

All the more reason to make sure the streets in that area are lit well I think!  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 am 

There is what seems to be a rather random replacement standing in the Bishophill area of the city. As the cast iron column below has a new column and a QSS alongside. It was only a few weeks ago that the top entry GEC Z5580B's on these columns were replaced by Thorn Jets, and now a new column has come along. The area is 99.5% white-light at the moment, and so I am dissappointed to say the QSS looks to have a SON lamp fitted - which is strange as other residential QSS's have been fitted with CDM lamps recently.

Attachment:
DSC01356.JPG
DSC01356.JPG [ 103.2 KiB | Viewed 19531 times ]

I can't really see anything wrong with the visible parts of the column, so MPH Testing have probably shown a very thin column wall in the subterrain section. The old column has a white cross over the door, but it still connected at present.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm 
Random avatar

Another twist to it is the Industria 2015 would not have been on the column that long - They are a relatively new choice of lantern by Edinburgh, I don't think they've been in use for more than 10 years in the city anyway. So... there's every possibility that this column was in an outrageous state when the lantern went up, and went unnoticed by the authorities! But this is the same city council that thinks nothing of slapping Arc 90s onto 10m columns already pushing 40 years service, many of which already have failing bracket joints and succumb to the ferocious gales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:20 am 

Mazeteam wrote:
Attachment:
DSC01367.JPG

Some are like that in Brighouse some are on Foxcroft Drive some others are on Mayster Grove. There were a few on Rastrick Common which were in dire need of being replaced - which they have but the replacement looks worse, WTRL Arc's running SON where as you go to Field Top Road and the lanterns are running MH with those outside the schools run SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:55 pm 
Random avatar

I know in and around the areas of Trowbridge, when a concrete column (sleeved, no unsleeved columns have needed emergency replacement) needs to be replaced due to cracking or leaning, the supply is left on but yellow danger tape is wrapped around the base of the column. This happened to one what was leaning very far forward, and had a hole by the door of the column but none of this happened in the last ten years. Oddly, the next column along is leaning back noticably, but nothing has been done about it. Here's the first installation in situ. Unfortunately it's difficult to see the lean due to the road curving and the camera's position.

Interestingly, when a steel column is falling, like this example with a Z9580 used to be falling into the ditch behind... The column is straightened to perfect and has its foundations re-layed.

However, in Ceredigion, when a main road steel column needs to be removed, down to the top of the base is chopped off, and the base itself is left. Which makes it funny when you see column bases everywhere!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 pm 

Yeah I think it's just a general Cut-'N'-Cap procedure. the column is cut, and the hole in the top of the base section (where the column shaft used to be) is capped over.
Very occaisionally, normally after a serious road traffic accident, the whole column has to be removed - but because the supply is still live then the big octagonal yellow bollard/cone comes out of storage. Whilst I haven't seen it in recent years, York's one is out there somewhere - which is bright yellow with black warning symbols and text, as there is a live cable under it.

As for leaning columns, here's one you can see leaning. I can see this from the back bedroom of my house - though nowadays it has a Thorn Jet on the top. (The P106 on the column in the background is now in my loft storage deck though!)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 26,,1,4.52

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:14 am 
Random avatar

Long Hill Rise in Hucknall, Notts has had a major problem with leaning columns for many years, example. I remember once seeing one of those columns lying on the grass (lantern was gone, sadly) in a broken heap and if you look up and down the road you will see there are several casual replacements from years' worth of fallen columns! I think this is possibly due to the ground beneath the columns eroding as this road goes up a steep hill. It could also be due to tree roots undermining the foundations.