It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Talking of Stalybridge, Blackpool has some Tameside-style CCTV camera columns as well...
Click.They have popped up here and there as casual replacements, all with post-top 2600s to complete the ugly look!
http://tinyurl.com/4b63cwk

the chunky-based lamp posts in blackpool are not particularly pleasing to the eye... at least in Tameside they are actually using CCTV columns where the base smoothly transitions into the column shaft - whereas these blackpool ones are just a sudden change from big to thin.

Sorry to disappoint you but they are nothing whatsoever to do with CCTV masts!

The two examples pictured, 10 Rodwell Walk and the Bibbys Lane column (actually numbered as 18 Kylemore Avenue) were CU Byway X columns that suffered from damage around the door opening. The columns were sawn off above the door, and to avoid service transfer costs, galvanised steel 'noddy columns' were lifted into place over the resultant stump. The 'root' of the new 'column' extended only to the cable slot level of the original installation.

Two of each of two different types of this experimental solution were tried, the circular based ones above, and two of the Tameside type - which are used extensively there for the same reason - nothing to do with CCTV columns which are a much larger section!

The square section based ones were used for a Stanton 10 Gamma 6 70w SON (Column 11 Collyhurst Avenue - erected 1960 as a 2 x 40w Revo Junior Sol-etern), and a Stanton 10 sleeved 2600 (Column 14 Stadium Avenue - erected 1962 as a GEC Clearside 4 x 20w, sleeved 1985 to 5 metre Beta 79 Mk2 70w SON, and subsequently 2600 50w SON/T when the Beta 79 gear tray corroded and disintegrated).

The same principle, in the circular format, has been extensively deployed in various parts  of the UK to update rotting sign posts (many of which were never galvanised), thereby avoiding DNO service transfer charges.

Incidentally, the four Blackpool examples no longer exist due to removal under the PFI.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 am 
Random avatar

A common sight on a road I traveled along the other day; badly spalling concrete columns and brackets held together with electrical insulating tape. Some have been sleeved, but I guess the rest are being left for the PFI to sort out.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 pm 

Bromley has its fair share of odd installations.

The two that come to mind are:

1> the gas lantern retrofit - this recently has been retrofited with another post top LED lantern similar to this one

2> the makeshift double bracket

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:31 pm 

glen adair wrote:
... galvanised steel 'noddy columns'

Further to the above post, I can confirm Mr Adair's explanation behind these columns is correct.
The design which rejoices in the name of the "Tameside Slipper", came into existence several years ago. I understand it was developed by Tameside's streetlighting department and a fabrication firm, as a response to the huge numbers of elderly concrete columns in the borough, which required renewal. As we all know, a portion of the cost of any streetlamp replacement is spent on the service transfer itself. The slipper neatly avoids disturbing the "Norweb" side of the cutout, thus saving time and money.

Prior to the Slipper, Tameside was quietly making moves to update its lighting infrastructure. Having given up on SOX for new installations in the early 90s, the majority of 5m concrete columns were sleeved to 6m. Beta 5s or Eleco 5011s which were formerly used were replaced with Beta 79s or Davis Starlines. These lasted until the introduction of the Tameside Slipper which steadily eliminated the old equipment. The slipper is now the most common group B column type in the borough and nearly always sporting an equally common Whitecroft Arc. To date, most are still in service, replacements being limited to accident victims. With only a handful of original concrete columns still around, it remains to be seen whether further Slippers will be installed.

Pre PFI, Manchester also experimented with the slipper albeit on a much smaller scale. I had heard the design was offered to other councils by the manufacturer, with royalties based on each sale going back to Tameside.

There seem to be two main designs. The most numerous is the square profile which will fit the standard slim columns. There is however the rarer rectangular type which would be used to replace the wider Stanton 7A or B.

Whilst the Tameside Slipper is hardly the most aesthetically pleasing design, it has at least allowed the borough's lighting stock to be updated with a reduced budget. I just wish they would give them a lick of municipal paint to soften the utilitarian look.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 pm 

Having been the person who discovered these in Tameside, I find it really interesting that they actually pioneered this rather ingenious solution to otherwise large service transfer costs. I was last around the area about 3-4 years ago and did spot some concretes on hidden-away streets.
York is currently looking to replace its elderly stock of concrete columns, with a few having been cut and capped over recent weeks pending new columns; the council has bidded for 'challenge fund' monies to replace every single one en-masse by a 3rd party, though if I spot the guys around I may mention the Tameside Slipper idea to see if that gets passed back to the boss - as it could then mean the columns are replaced by the local guys instead of the vastly more expensive 3rd party option.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:17 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
I find it really interesting that they actually pioneered this rather ingenious solution to otherwise large service transfer costs.

I have enclosed some images from "public.tameside.gov.uk" which show the slipper being installed. If you google  "tameside slipper", you can see how this innovation has improved the lighting in the borough, with a few interesting articles. Quoting from one report compiled in 2001 by The Local Government Chronicle... "the council went into partnership with a local firm, which manufacturers the lights and sells them all over the country. The council pockets £2 for every lamp sold".

Although the Slipper saw off the bulk of Tameside's vintage group B lighting stock, main road columns of the concrete variety were still subjected to the traditional replacement ethos. Following sleeving in the 70s and 80s and some remedial steel reinforcement to arrest spalling around the access doors a few years ago, the majority of the 8 and 10m concretes have since been replaced by galv' steel designs. It would have been interesting though, had the Tameside Slipper evolved enough to fit the big boys!

Whilst the design isn't probably the most aesthetic, nor did it help protect the numerous Stantons, CUs and Eleco specimens which up to that point were thriving on the local streetscene, the Tameside Slipper could certainly be seen to be innovative back then!

With that in mind, should it really be classed as a contender in the "worst installation" category?

Attachments:
File comment: The first cut is the deepest.
preview-223int00153.jpg
preview-223int00153.jpg [ 102.25 KiB | Viewed 28820 times ]
File comment: The old column is craned to the ground. Notice the remaining stump.
preview-224int00154.jpg
preview-224int00154.jpg [ 106.68 KiB | Viewed 28820 times ]
File comment: One of the first new Slippers is wired up, with civic dignitaries in attendance.
preview-222int00152.jpg
preview-222int00152.jpg [ 58.63 KiB | Viewed 28820 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Great photos - thanks.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:40 pm 

Further to the Tameside Slipper innovation, I recently managed to grab a quick snap of the species, in its natural habitat.

Attachments:
Slippers at bedtime.JPG
Slippers at bedtime.JPG [ 265.73 KiB | Viewed 28736 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 pm 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Further to the Tameside Slipper innovation, I recently managed to grab a quick snap of the species, in its natural habitat.

I thought I would dig out this post of mine from May 2015, regarding the "Tameside Slipper". To date, they are the borough's most numerous landmark especially with the ubiquitous WRTL Arc completing the ensemble.

Anyway, there is an interesting change going in Tameside, although in the sphere of UK streetlighting is probably nothing even remotely unique these days.

Basically, the slipper shod WRTL Arc could soon be an endangered species in Tameside as the Holophane VMAX is now beginning to muscle in. One notable installation in Hyde, has very recently been converted to LED. When you consider the savings which will be achieved, it is not hard to understand why these lanterns are increasingly being specified.

I have yet to see the area lit yet, however this is an interesting departure from what was originally seen as the only alternative to SOX. It is somewhat ironic that the stumps of the old concrete columns which once sported both GLS and SOX lanterns are still carrying out their original function, even if they are somewhat pruned.

Attachments:
File comment: The previous view showed the Tameside Slipper columns on a street in Hyde. This recent shot of the same location, shows the newly installed VMAX lanterns in their place.
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 27484 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:32 pm 

I thought I would dig out this post of mine from May 2015, regarding the "Tameside Slipper". To date, they are the borough's most numerous landmark especially with the ubiquitous WRTL Arc completing the ensemble.

Anyway, there is an interesting change going in Tameside, although in the sphere of UK streetlighting is probably nothing even remotely unique these days.

Basically, the slipper shod WRTL Arc could soon be an endangered species in Tameside as the Holophane VMAX is now beginning to muscle in. One notable installation in Hyde, has very recently been converted to LED. When you consider the savings which will be achieved, it is not hard to understand why these lanterns are increasingly being specified.

I have yet to see the area lit yet, however this is an interesting departure from what was originally seen as the only alternative to SOX. It is somewhat ironic that the stumps of the old concrete columns which once sported both GLS and SOX lanterns are still carrying out their original function, even if they are somewhat pruned.

As I was visiting friends in the above location recently, I thought it was a good opportunity to capture the new LED lanterns at night. As I used a long exposure, the street is not quite as brightly lit as shown here.

In what is now to become a borough wide replacement of SON in residential areas, more and more of the WRTL Arcs are being replaced by VMAXs. At the moment, it is just the "Tameside Slippers" which are being converted as they are already post top configured. Any side entry columns on the same street are being left alone for the time being.

Since the fitting of the VMAX lantern to the Slipper, the aesthetic look of the column has been improved slightly. It might therefore be argued that what is the most numerous item of street furniture in Tameside, might warrant being moved from "the worst installations pictured" catagory.

Attachments:
DSCF3120.JPG
DSCF3120.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 27218 times ]