It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 pm 
Random avatar

Just seen this in London Barbican which made me laugh! Two "heritage" columns (which presumably originally had Albanies installed, like the columns on the rest of the street) have had their lanterns retrofitted with Philips Koffers and Belisha beacons added. The Koffers actually do look rather good on these columns (they're just the right thickness for the brackets), but it does look a bit weird having heritage columns lighting a zebra crossing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:30 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I'm with you on that one - the Koffers don't look too bad, considering. It would have been better to have installed the Albany Zebra so as to follow through the 'heritage' theme.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
Hi James,

Welcome to UKASTLE!

I can see why Beta 79s are installed on hockeystick columns as the authority can save money on bracket costs. I know what you mean though, they don't look particularly great.

What do you think of this example in London? The hockey stick column is slightly shorter than in your example and is painted black.

The column is nice, but the lantern looks too big

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:49 pm 

You've heard of up cranked brackets but this...  :roll:

Clicky

The large Iridium casual replacement only makes the bracket sag even more!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm 

Acacia Cat wrote:
You've heard of up cranked brackets but this...  :roll:

Clicky

The large Iridium casual replacement only makes the bracket sag even more!

That is a Thorn Civic, not a Philips Iridium

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Administration

The bracket hasn't sagged, if the grub screws are not tightened evenly when the bracket is installed, it will be "pushed" off center by the grub screw that has been tightened the most. This is what has occurred in this example.

Not quite sure why you have listed this as a "worst installation", that style of column is very common in Wiltshire (and elsewhere) and the Civic is far better looking than an Iridium.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:20 am 

Chepstow was a right mess when i went through the other week. They have got a variety of iffy installations.

Firstly, we have the SON Opalos in the town centre (this is one of the first in the town, and doesn't look too bad). These are actually the model designed for main road, but they look very bulbous on the long outreaches. More bulbous than Iridiums, and that's saying something! They unfortunately obliterated these stay-bars and used bog-standard brackets instead. At least that ugly lantern (Sintra?) was removed. More traditional lanterns like SGS203s, MRL6s and ZX3s are becoming rare.

Next, we have a big scattering of SON P680 casual replacements. I needn't explain why these look bad.

Then we have Philips Streetfighter lanterns. Whilst not looking awful, they don't look quite right.

By the way, these are all my opinions.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:39 pm 

I may just have a winner here...three post top mounted Alpha 3s!

Located in an industrial yard, they can be seen when entering and leaving Manchester Piccadilly train station, but I have managed to get as close as possible on Street View:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.46071 ... tR0U8Q!2e0

Given the newer, more sensible installations beneath I'm not sure if they still work, but what were they thinking - let's light the sky?! You must have been able to see them for miles!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Administration

Indeed, how bizarre!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm 

Jonas Nichols Square in the centre of St Marys in Southampton features a very ornate Victorian cast iron column. It was originally a carbon arc installation, and featured a white opalescent globe. It can be seen in its original state on Google Street View here. Obviously, the carbon arc lantern hasn't worked for years, most likely decades. The column was Grade 2 listed on the 8th October 1981.

In around 2013 sacrilege was brought upon this lovely old column. Gone was the original globe from the carbon arc lantern, and in its place came another globe. Or when I say in its place, I mean somehow cobbled to the top of the column at the bottom of the yoke via some form of control box. And when I say globe, I'm talking north Hampshire business park. A clear bowled sphere with black upper hemisphere and metal louvres, of some manufacture. Of course, Southampton has a white light policy and is moving towards 100% of street lighting being white light, so it is running a SON lamp!

Here is an overall view of the installation. As grand as the column may be, the area in which it stands has a reputation for being rough.

And of course, we must see a close up of their handy work!

Could it have been worse? I suppose in place of the sphere they could have fitted some sort of double bracket with large Iridiums. Nevertheless, such a cruel way to treat an ornate listed column.

Profile  Personal album