It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

RE: the Arc, that is pretty dreadful and there are some examples round my way that are similar. LAs seem to have a tendency of installing Arcs post-top on rather tall columns - a combination that may work practically but just looks plain odd.

As for your Exhibition Road example, I think they are quite prominent and I admire their originality but I think they could be a little more spaced out. I will have to check out their optical performance at night at some point.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 am 

Acacia Cat wrote:
What a great botch of a lovely column! :?
clicketh

The bracket isn't actually original to this column! It used to be fitted to a column in the centre of the road outside the railway station, along with several others... at some point in the past somebody will have decided the bracket was too good to sacrifice and so it was relocated. I think the same happened with the bracket that was on a column at Lendal Bridge.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm 
Random avatar

In response to the Arc, Trowbridge has several SGS252 small Iridiums installed at 10m on brackets, one even uses a second hand bracket which looks like it's about to give way! (Unfortunately no link though as despite being a few years old, google hasn't updated yet and shows the previous GR150 installation which was removed when houses were being built behind it).

Aberystwyth also has several Sapphire 1s post-top at 10m on white columns running induction lamps. Needless to say they look a little weird.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm 
Random avatar

Sheffield has also been installing Arc 80s post-top recently (previously, a standard outreach bracket would always be used, which made it look more in-proportion) but even worse, they're using the deep bowled version. It just looks rather silly, sort of like a straightened out Thylia installation.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:41 pm 

HOW STUPID IS THIS? :o
This wall bracket has a SON Iridium on it, which is bad enough. But, guess what it replaced!

ANOTHER Iridium on the SAME bracket but longer! :evil:

A similar thing happened here when a wall mounted Iridium was replaced by a double bracket Iridium on a thick column! What a waste of energy and metal! You can still see were the bracket was fitted.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
Random avatar

Not been on here for ages. What about this MA50 (I think)?
http://goo.gl/maps/XCYMg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:14 pm 
Random avatar
None of any of your pictures can beat this one - the most unusual column I have ever seen  :o

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Picker ... 63.78,,1,0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:08 pm 

That is ridiculous! :shock: This eleco way is not nearly as shocking but still a bit weird. The GEC lantern 90o to the left looks a bit off as well.

Believe it or not, but there is a column in here. I only noticed it because it was dayburning and because there was an S&L column tucked under the bush!

If you pan 360° in this spot you will see 3 P109s on 8m Fabrikats and 2 Albany casual replacements. Not far very away you can find this botch. I'm not sure what makes it so weird, apart from the iridium, but it might be the scale (notice that there's ANOTHER albany casual replacement).

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:38 am 

Acacia Cat wrote:
This eleco way is not nearly as shocking but still a bit weird. The GEC lantern 90o to the left looks a bit off as well.

I saw the Eleco, but then looked beyond at the short height column mounted on a wall above some stairs with a Thorn Jet fitted... now that's a lantern that would be a hassle to change the lamp on and keep within H&S regulations! There's a lantern in York like that mounted the same height above some stairs that is inaccessible to vehicles, it's been dead for years.

The GEC looks odd because it has a vacuum formed replacement bowl fitted.

Quote:
If you pan 360° in this spot you will see 3 P109s on 8m Fabrikats and 2 Albany casual replacements.
The wall mount lantern is interesting... but I do question how effective P109s would be at 8-10m up like those ones are.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:09 am 
Random avatar

Lampman wrote:
I think this is pretty bad as lantern is just too big for the bracket.

They don't really "fit" with the style of the column either!