It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Nighwatch, I don't have  access to GSV at the moment but will check out the Alpha 3s as soon as I can - I'm intrigued.

sotonsteve wrote:
Nevertheless, such a cruel way to treat an ornate listed column.

Hear, hear! Looks appalling.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am 

It looks hilarious! ... as do those Alpha 3s. Sadly my train route into Manchester Piccadilly doesn't pass by these - though for a while one of the places it did pass by contained a WRTL Vectra post-topped using the side-entry spigot :mrgreen:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
Jonas Nichols Square in the centre of St Marys in Southampton features a very ornate Victorian cast iron column. It was originally a carbon arc installation, and featured a white opalescent globe. It can be seen in its original state on Google Street View here. Obviously, the carbon arc lantern hasn't worked for years, most likely decades. The column was Grade 2 listed on the 8th October 1981.

In around 2013 sacrilege was brought upon this lovely old column. Gone was the original globe from the carbon arc lantern, and in its place came another globe. Or when I say in its place, I mean somehow cobbled to the top of the column at the bottom of the yoke via some form of control box. And when I say globe, I'm talking north Hampshire business park. A clear bowled sphere with black upper hemisphere and metal louvres, of some manufacture. Of course, Southampton has a white light policy and is moving towards 100% of street lighting being white light, so it is running a SON lamp!

Here is an overall view of the installation. As grand as the column may be, the area in which it stands has a reputation for being rough.

And of course, we must see a close up of their handy work!

Could it have been worse? I suppose in place of the sphere they could have fitted some sort of double bracket with large Iridiums. Nevertheless, such a cruel way to treat an ornate listed column.

Would love to see a Carbon arc lantern on there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:38 pm 

Apologies about the poor cameraphone picture quality...

A second hand Philips SGS101 "Streetfighter/Malaga" with uptilt-spigot mounted to a 1950s/60s 25ft S&L column. A 70W SON lantern isn't exactly appropriate for a main road column where the other lanterns range between 90W SOX and 150W SON. It replaced a Philips MA90 within the past few months. The columns along this road have had the yellow crosses of death for about a year now, and this is one of only a handful of roads in the borough to have not yet received column replacements yet. But push all that aside, it's certainly not an attractive look.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:40 pm 
Random avatar

Prime example of needlessly replacing SOX with SON (and a shoddy one at that) when all they had to do was relamp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm 

Here is Tyning Lane in Bath in 2012. "That's not a bad installation", you might think, but I have dubbed this 'the unluckiest street in Bath for streetlighting', and with good reason!

It all started when, in late 2012, the GECs on the street started dayburning (this led me to coin the term 'Tyning Syndrome' as a synonym for dayburning :lol: ).

Then, in early 2013, new LED lanterns were installed. Shortly afterwards, one of them was knocked down by a vehicle (presumably, as the stump of the column was wrapped in black and yellow tape). It was replaced by an identical installation.

Eventually, these LEDs began to dayburn as well! And it's not just the council owned lighting that suffers bad luck!  

The Gamma 6s at the health clinic are in a poor state. There are three columns, but only two lanterns and only one canopy! The surviving lanterns also appear to have been left in a tanning machine for too long. If they work, which is unlikely, they can't produce that much light at all!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:35 pm 
Site Administration

Not exactly the best pictures as taken from inside a car and  facing into the sun, but this "conversion" of vintage cast iron column on Brighton seafront - Urbis Evolo.

It should of course look like this:

It is unknown if this is a temporary arrangement due to repairs being needed to the original bracket/lanterns, or a taste of things to come...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:49 pm 
Random avatar

A similar thing happened in Penzance, In the storms a few heritage lanterns got damaged and sloppily placed on some of them now are Urbis Evolo lanterns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

While the Evolo is completely out of keeping, I really dislike the design of what was there before - most ugly!

I spotted a less extreme example the other day in Dalston - an Albany casually replaced by a P850.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 pm 
Random avatar

If you go one step back, you'll see the P850 actually replaced a ZX3, which would have replaced an Albany. But that's just me being pedantic!

Personally I think the P850 looks rather good on that heritage column - it's sleek enough to carry off the bracket and isn't too overpowering for the column.