It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lighting exhibitions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:15 pm 

I wonder if any of these lanterns still exist in some dark corner of a warehouse somewhere.....would be awesome to see one in real life.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 am 

It would have to be a pretty big dark corner to hide a 4-way Kuwait!!

I'd still love to see these old lights though...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:33 am 

Indust (in a different thread) wrote:
I wish lighting exhibition events were still hosted now like they were in the past. There was that one image that's floated around on here before of loads of different types of columns and lanterns in a row down a street for an exhibition. It's a shame nothing like that happens now - the passion within the manufacturers is going with so many new lanterns looking bland. A modern day lighting exhibition would be such a great event for enthusiasts to attend.

I'd love to see a modern equivalent of yesteryear's show. It would be so interesting with today's LED technology and other new light sources.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
I'd love to see a modern equivalent of yesteryear's show. It would be so interesting with today's LED technology and other new light sources.

I second that! Instead of the quad Siemens Kuwait, it could have a quad WRTL Stela instead, imagine that!  :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:37 pm 
Random avatar

I've also been thinking about companies and lanterns... Not exhibitions as such, more 'display'... I'm wondering if companies keep at least one lantern of every lantern they've produced from the past for whatever reasons. Like, I'm wondering if Thorn have one of each of the Alpha/Beta/Gamma and newer ranges either on display in one of their offices or factories, or have them kept safe for reference and historical value... Seeing as they're what the company had produced. If I was a company, I'd keep at least one of every lantern produced; but that's just me!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

They might do. If we were to have a 21st Century Lighting Exhibition happening on lets say, Worthing for example, we could see a WTRL Stela followed by an LED Urbis Opalo (it could be made) then a triple bracketed DW Iffley...

It would be a bit smaller mind.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 pm 

If you're passing through Hertfordshire, a detour to CU Phosco's Headquarters in Ware (near Hertford) is definitely worth considering (postcode: SG12 9TA). I guess it's the nearest we have to a lighting exhibition today, although much of the content is historic rather than modern.

A photo of CU Phosco's Headquarters from their web site.

The HQ is, rather unusually, located down a small residential cu-de-sac (lit in the main by SOX-running P567s), so I assume the high-masts they have on display in their staff car park are unlit at night!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:49 pm 
Random avatar

I never realised CU Phosco went as far back as some of those lanterns they have on display or that they even made half of those types! I thought they might have some classic CU concretes on display and maybe a few of their classic SOX lanterns like the P153 and P170 etc. Never mind!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Administration

With thanks to RC and his lighting archive, this picture dates from the late 1960s and shows a Stanton display of "hardware" at an unknown exhibition.

Several things are of note, being an engineer, the first thing that springs to my mind is that the mounting base must be made of concrete to act as a counterbalance for those brackets! Although I guess it would help by the largest being opposite each other.

The display is unusual in having brackets and column bases, and it just goes to show how large the brackets were on the 10m and 12m concrete columns.

The loading must be immense on the joint even when they are in the best of condition, let alone after the weather has got in. Indeed sotonsteve and I saw one such failed bracket over the weekend - the column had shattered at the joint with rusty re-bar showing and lantern remains at the base.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:40 am 

Those brackets are immense! Earlier in the year I watched the Amey guys take down a 12m Stanton, but the bracket wasn't as long as those. I would well expect in that display that the bases are also acting as counterweight, considering they are arranged symmetrically. I wonder how they actually got that display into the building.....

Profile  Personal album