It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 pm 
Formerly Paspie

I have updated the above image, saying goodbye to SON and hello to mercury again (I discovered the medium does have some advantages in certain fields). Also, some of the pointless gaps in lighting, such as the one on the B487, are gone. The main page is here if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 pm 
Random avatar

Orangetek Arialeds on my street firstly, then beside concrete columns and SOX lanterns.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:02 pm 

I always wanted to post this!

Main road SON choice: Phillips SGS253 Iridium
Main road LED choice: Holophane V-MAX

Side road SON choice: Phillips SGS252 Iridium
Side road LED choice: WRTL Stela Wide

Motorway/Dual Carridgeway SON choice: WRTL Airtrace 2
Motorway/Dual Carridgeway LED choice: WRTL Luma 2/WRTL Luma 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 am 

I hope I don't get into trouble for bringing this thread back to life, that being said I don't see the point in making a new one for the same thing.

Going with a fantasy approach, because I do not know anything about LED lanterns.
I would use quite a mix of things, sometimes on the same road, I liked the variety that we used to have in North Yorkshire with both lantern types and colours.

For main roads, with SOX I'd rely heavily on Philips MA lanterns and Eleco GR lanterns but also some GEC Z9554 and GEC Z9454. For SON I'd go with the SGS 203, 204, ZX3 with flat glass or a deep bowl, Alpha 8s, Alpha 3s, GEC Z8600 and both versions of the SGS 201, also some traffic visions just to balance things out. I don't know the names of many mercury lanterns but I'd go with the GEC Z8526 and again the Alpha 3s and the old SGS 201s.

For small roads it would be Beta 5, 8, 79, GEC Z8830, Philips MI26, the newer 201 both in SOX and SON, AC 850/888, Revo Dalek and some Eleco Silver Ray Juniors

Forgive my lack of imagination...  :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:02 pm 
Random avatar

Holophane VMAXes and ensuring the removal of most, if not all concrete columns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm 

In a fantasy world where LED doesn’t exist & I was in control of installations, this is what I’d have.

First of all, I’d have a relatively even mix of different lighting types to keep things interesting. Motorways & main dual carriageways would have SOX, smaller main roads in urban & residential areas would tend to have SON, as would major junctions. Side roads in urban areas & car parks would tend to have MH, & rural and countryside areas such as villages & lanes would have mercury lighting, so would parks.

Main road/motorway SOX would be a mixture of MA’s, GR150/200’s & GEC Bricks where cut off lighting is needed.

Main road/motorway SON would be a mixture of Siemens Broadway’s, Alpha 2000’s, ZX2/3’s, SGS203/204’s, Thorn Pilotes & Trafficvisions.

Side road MH would probably be teardrop bowled Albany type lanterns on a mixture of top entry and swan bracket types.  

Mercury would be a classic mix of top-entry lanterns, side-entry lanterns & in parks it would be top entry lanterns like Gamma 5’s.

No LED!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm 
Random avatar

Alpha3 wrote:
In a fantasy world where LED doesn’t exist & I was in control of installations, this is what I’d have.

First of all, I’d have a relatively even mix of different lighting types to keep things interesting. Motorways & main dual carriageways would have SOX, smaller main roads in urban & residential areas would tend to have SON, as would major junctions. Side roads in urban areas & car parks would tend to have MH, & rural and countryside areas such as villages & lanes would have mercury lighting, so would parks.

Main road/motorway SOX would be a mixture of MA’s, GR150/200’s & GEC Bricks where cut off lighting is needed.

Main road/motorway SON would be a mixture of Siemens Broadway’s, Alpha 2000’s, ZX2/3’s, SGS203/204’s, Thorn Pilotes & Trafficvisions.

Side road MH would probably be teardrop bowled Albany type lanterns on a mixture of top entry and swan bracket types.  

Mercury would be a classic mix of top-entry lanterns, side-entry lanterns & in parks it would be top entry lanterns like Gamma 5’s.

No LED!

But would you remove any concrete columns or retain them for as long as possible?