It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:11 pm 
Random avatar

Both realistically, and just pure fantasy...

Realistically:

For main roads I'd look into installing SOX for retrofits ad casual replacements, SON and Cosmo for main roads - I'm not too keen on metal halide.

Main road SOX: Philips SRS201
Main road SON: Thorn Riviera, Phosco P678
Main road CPO: WRTL Airtrace, Urbis Evolo

Main road columns would consist mainly of two tone blue painted CU columns with long outreach brackets. 8 to 10m in heights would be used the most. Post-top would only be fitted if the bracket gets in the way of powerlines! (All lengths)

For side roads I'd install CFL (PL-T and PL-L) and SOX. If it's for a highly dangerous area I may be persuaded to use metal halide...

Side road SOX: Philips XGS201, Philips XGS103/4, WRTL Delta, WRTL 2601 & WRTL IRIS
Side road CFL (PL-T):  WRTL Delta, Phosco P567
Side road CFL (PL-L): Thorn Celest, WRTL Iris

Columns would usually be of 5m, but 6m may be used on more intermediate roads. Side entry brackets would be used for all installations apart from maybe the Thorn Celest (and the 2601). Lanterns are to be fitted post-top in areas with high vandalism, or on corners with thin pavements. Columns will be painted two-tone green.

For areas that are prone to high vandalism, I'd use Vandalite Skyes and WRTL Vectra Gaza Strips.

Wow, quite a few lanterns, and that is my realistic one!

Motorways, I would use: SRS201s, Airtraces, Thorn Orus lanterns, Arcs, Iridiums, MRL6s and Pilotes.

Unrealistic one another time. :P

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 pm 

If i was a council i would reallisticly  be installing Urbis Opalo's and Saturn's running CFL/MH. In fantisy it would be Revo Prefects, Sol'eterns and Sold'or junior's. Along with a mish mash of Eleco / GEC / Thorn products.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:18 am 

Reality...

Main Roads would see 10m columns with AC Ford decorative brackets and a small lantern runing Cosmo Lamps (something the size of the WRTL 2-tone)

Intermediate roads would see similar columns to above but with 80w PL-L used in Libra's

Non-pedestrian areas would see 180w SRS201's on standard columns/brackets. 12m.

Residential Streets lit by Urbis Opalo's on AC Ford swan neck on top of 5m columns. Areas requiring more light would have 6-8m columns with Urbis K-Lux fitted, running either 57w PL-T or 45-60w Cosmo. Footpaths lit by K-Lux's or post-top QSS's running 42w PL-T.

Areas of 'heritage' would be lit with special order installations from Kingswood. Footpaths lit by Metropolis 3.8m column fitted with Half-cradle Globe lantern, or Chantry lantern ('posh' wrtl 2015). Wall mounted lighting for footpaths would use "Promenade" style wall bracket with Banded Circa 2000 Split Shpere lantern. In the pedestrianised heart of the area, we'd go for something a bit extra special - such as Montmarte 4.8m column with 4x 120 degree lantern cluster ('Swan' bracket) of either 'Chenonceaux' or 400mm Cradle Globe lanterns. Roads within the 'heritage' area would be lit with 8m Nominal column with Esplanade 2x 180degree lantern cluster of Circa 2000 Banded Split Shperes, columns having Fluted shaft ring, fluted mid collar, fluted base collar, cast panelled door with Coat of Arms cast in. (roundabouts would be similar, but column would be in middle of roundabout with cluster of either 3x 120 degree or 4x 90degree lantern arrangement).
See - Heritage lighting can be done without bl**dy albanies everywhere!!

as for fantasy... well, I'll have to think about that, but it may involve a few Flying Saucers!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:50 pm 
Random avatar

If I had my way, I'd design all my schemes on this sort of basis... but instead of the HQI lamps currently used in these Arcs (far too cold and blue for my liking) I would go for white SON.

Attachment:
weedon.JPG
weedon.JPG [ 37.82 KiB | Viewed 36242 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:32 am 

ooh, nice columns!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 am 

Holophane_Sam wrote:
If I had my way, I'd design all my schemes on this sort of basis... but instead of the HQI lamps currently used in these Arcs (far too cold and blue for my liking) I would go for white SON.

You could use warm white (~3000K) ceramic metal halide (CDO-TT) lamps. Ceramic metal halide is more efficient than both quartz metal halide and white SON, and more reliable than quartz metal halide.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:20 pm 
Random avatar

I could use those, and in practice I would; however I just prefer the slightly warmer hues of white SON.  :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm 

Admittedly not quite on-topic, but I hope this waste of space hits the buffers in tomorrow's emergency budget. I cannot imagine how Essex and Herts - arguably the last two counties in the UK who are still happily installing SOX and even in bulk in some locations - will look in five years if this got the go ahead.

I think I'll move to Suffolk!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:14 pm 

Mercury style lanterns, e.g. Prefect's, Z5590's, Alpha 3's but run them off Cosmo lamps or CFL. Whilst at the same time installing Libra's and Residums.

Profile  Personal album