It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:44 pm 

I didn't know Durham and Stockton were trying for a PFI. In one way, it'd be a shame if the PFI went ahead - but if I found out where the depot would be then it'd be a shame if the PFI DIDN'T go ahead.... quite a few interesting bits and bobs up there.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:53 pm 

Shame that Kirklees will be getting one, unless of course the MRL6 getting replaced with much more 'styled' lanterns  whereas in Huddersfield where it'll be b****y Albanies all ower* the shop.

There is a few 'finned' columns left in Kirklees and these are up near to Greenhead and one in he Holme Valley, 100yds from Longley Farm.

* Deliberate spelling mistake.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm 
Random avatar
For the concrete columns... SRL8s.

WRTL Arcs on the telegraph poles on Seamer Road.

Main Street - Deep Bowl Iridiums.

For the two twin bracket columns over the River - MRL8s.

Telegraph Poles up Yedmandale Road - Opalos.

For the Pickering Road - Flat Bowl Iridiums

For Hall Garth Lane - A long line of Urbis Sintras.

Now for that Stepney Hill. QSS's on brand new steel 'T' columns, painted dark green. From Nos. 50-1.

Scalby Road - The whole road to have brand new steel dark green columns, with the T bracket, Thorn Celests.

The places with the chunky columns remaining - Beige steel pole columns with flat bowl Iridiums, expect for that No.11 on Stepney Grove.

Places with Beta 2s - Replace them with deep bowl Iridiums.

For my street - WRTL Arcs on Brand New Steel Pole Columns, Dark Green. And closer together, like every 5 houses, 1, then 9, then 17, 25 etc, all on the same side.

I'd renumber those on Byefield Grove so it includes those other two lanterns that were cruely missed out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 am 

Some controversial choices there!  :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 am 
Random avatar
Why controversial? You and the rest of em going to corner me in a dark alley just because I like Iridiums??  ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:45 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Herts used to replace SOX like for like up until 2010, nowadays they're using a combination of Philips CFL lanterns (look quite nice actually) and Iridiums. Most of these are, fortunately, on new columns. My approach would be to start a PFI type scheme where these casual replacement standards would become consistent along entire lengths of road, preferably before they change the standards again. Most of the existing stock around here is ancient anyway, 60s and 70s Eleco and GEC lanterns on rusty steel columns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:54 pm 

Paspie wrote:
Herts used to replace SOX like for like up until 2010, nowadays they're using a combination of Philips CFL lanterns (look quite nice actually) and Iridiums. Most of these are, fortunately, on new columns. My approach would be to start a PFI type scheme where these casual replacement standards would become consistent along entire lengths of road, preferably before they change the standards again. Most of the existing stock around here is ancient anyway, 60s and 70s Eleco and GEC lanterns on rusty steel columns.

I live in a place called New Ash Green

All the street lights need replacing because some of them are from circa 1975, and the columns are around 1967!

I'd replace the residential road lanterns with SGS 203s, SRL8 running 100w SON-T on small steel columns.

The main road lanterns I'd have MA90s, and on the roundabout I'd have Alpha 8's MK II running 150W SON-T on Stainton tubular steel columns painted Norfolk Green

And then on the paths I'd have Simplex Aries running 55W SOX

Attachments:
File comment: Thorn Gamma 5 (these are being replaced by Vandalite Skye's)
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 390.98 KiB | Viewed 18934 times ]
File comment: Phosco P178
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG [ 415.79 KiB | Viewed 18934 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:54 pm 
Random avatar

If I were to install I would use the following:

Main roads in built up areas would use Alpha 2000s mounted on short outreach brackets with a curved glass bowl colored the same as the column where a more smart approach was required i.e town and city centres running white SON. Main roads outside city and town centres would use Thorn Oracles running 90W Cosmo with flat glass and be dimmed appropriately. Lanterns on these roads would be mounted to overhead electricity systems where possible. Lanterns on rural lit roads and dual carriageways would use SON flat glass A2000s on crash friendly columns where appropriate. White SON would be used to highlight junctions, slip roads, roundabouts, dangerous bends etc. All would be dimmed appropriately, apart from the areas mentioned above.

Side Roads: these would use Thorn oracles running 65W Cosmo or 45W CFL lamps depending on mounting height, street width etc. Back lanes and footpaths would use LED Thorn Isaro lanterns to provide low level lighting during the night.

Industrial Estates would use 100W SON Oracle lanterns with flat glass to limit glare mounted post top. .

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:21 pm 

These are what I'd install if I were a council.

MAIN ROADS
SGS203/4s and Vectras (Running white light off some sort) painted black on 10M black Fabrikat columns and tapered Stainton columns. For lesser main roads I would use SGS201/3s at 8M. The SOX choice would be a mixture of the MA series, Z9554s and Z9454s. For MBF I would use Alpha 3s/Z8524s. All of these would be on a mixture of straight, upcranked and S&L brackets (except the Staintons) Where more classy lanterns were needed, I would use Auroras and Carltons on those 180˚ brackets. Very busy roads like motorways would have black Trafficvisions and SGS204s.

SIDE ROADS
SGS201s on 5M S&L columns (with swan necks) or with stub brackets. SGS201s/3s on 6M stub brackets for busier roads. Z9531s, Z9583s, Z9481s on 5 swan necks and Mi26s on 6m stub brackets for SOX. MBF would be Revo Prefects and eleco welwyns on cast iron columns. Heritage would be Revo Eastbournes and Urbis Regents. Footpaths would have Elecoways, Gamma 5s and Gamma 6s.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Interesting choices there. S&L columns certainly have my vote but what's your reasoning behind using the SGS201 for minor roads? I always find these rather poor in terms of optical performance!

Profile  Personal album