It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:05 pm 

If I was a council, I would install the following,

Casual Replacements:  WRTL Libra (side road)
                                          WRTL Arc (side road)
                                          Urbis Evolo (side road, main road)
Large Replacements:     CU Phosco P567 LED (side road)
                                          Urbis Axia (side road)
                                          WRTL Luma (main road, possibly some side road)
Heritage:                          Urbis Karl Johan (high streets)
                                          Urbis Abbey (side road)

All columns would probably be CU.

Last edited by danwho9 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:08 am 

This is my more realistic choice.

I will replace...
MAIN ROAD SOX with Libras and Celestes. CFL

MAIN ROAD SON with Iridium2s and Lumas. LED

SIDE ROAD SOX with Libras and Celestes. CFL

SIDE ROAD SON with Lumas and Arcs. LED

MAIN ROAD HERITAGE with Auroras and Saturns. LED

SIDE ROAD HERITAGE with P11s. LED

I would keep the original bracket and column were possible. When a new column would be needed, I would use Forest columns and a curvy bracket or a Stainton hockey stick. The lantern and column colour would be black.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 pm 
Random avatar

Don't think I've posted in here yet.

Although I don't know costs and overall figures for reliability etc like someone on the real job would, I do know that I own an Arc and in my opinion it is very well designed and built and has few if any design flaws. Therefore my plan would be simple - Arcs, everywhere. No point in having a different lantern for each different type of road; the larger flavour (Arc 90) can be used on roads that need high wattages and the 80 can be used everywhere else. Flat glass where possible, polycarbonate for areas where posts are low or likely to be vandalised.  SON, CDO-TT or Cosmo, with the white light going in town centres and areas where beautification is considered important. Then when LED matures a bit it can be retroffited into the Arc. I've seen kits, particularly in the US, where the bowl and control gear is removed and the LED array fitted in its place. the Arc is so common I'd be surprised if something doesn't or didn't exist for it soon, but for me to do that LED would have to have matured a little, be less glary and be available in warm white and still considered efficient.

Love the Arc, it's probably second in line to my all time favourite the Philips MA series.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Controversial!!  :twisted:

I understand that the Arc is well designed, but believe me they are incredibly dull en masse as is the case in my (and the adjoining) borough. I would much preferred the Evolo around here, but that's just a personal opinion!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02 am 
Random avatar

I've often thought about this, but I reckon it would very hard to make a firm decision on anything without proper trials. Going on the basis of design, efficiency and cost, I would probably only use a couple of lanterns. Those would be (for LED) the Holophane Denver Elite Pole and (for CPO) the Urbis Evolo.

I've always been immensely fond of the Evolo and this would satisfy any higher-brightness requirements. I chose the Denver Elite due to its radically different optical arrangement. Rather than using a flat-panel LED system with individual lenses (which I've always found to produce a fair bit of glare) it uses reflectors and a prismatic diffuser. It's also styled in a similar manner to the Evolo.

For switching, I would probably go with the Telensa system with miniature nodes on new installations. You could even fit festive decorations with this as well rather than fitting timers.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 am 

If I was our council, I would stop doubling the amount of columns for the originals, then fitting them with higher wattage lamps!
I do think most side streets are over lit today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:09 pm 
Formerly Paspie

This was a mildly ambitious diagram that I've pretty much finished now. I've done a PFI for my home town, Hemel. :P

The areas shaded white will be lit predominantly by WRTL Libras running 36W fluorescent tubes.

The areas shaded orange will be lit mainly by Tamcourts burning 55W SOX.

As for the lines:

White - WRTL Libra, post-top, 36W PL-L

Yellow - WRTL Iris, post-top, 35W SOX

Orange - Tamlite Tamcourt, side entry, 55W SOX

Red - Philips SRS201 (MA90), large shoe, 90W SOX

The peach lines are SON but the lantern and column will vary depending on the application. Where it is shown on main vehicular routes, Urbis Opalos burning 100W lamps will be used, though for areas such as the Old Town more classical styles such as the Tamlite Citrine may be used.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

A neat way of displaying things, Papsie. Just out of interest, why the Tamlite Tamcourt as a lantern?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:39 pm 
Formerly Paspie

I wanted something other than the Iris for a low-end SOX solution. That's the only reason.

Another thing: the lantern canopies will be painted white, except for recycled units, and nearly all new columns will be painted a Cardinal Red.

I won't leave any streets untouched except for those with unspoilt concrete + SOX sections.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:30 am 
Random avatar

I would be bland and go for main routes and A roads to Phillips Speedstars. They are by far the best LED lantern I have seen in terms of aesthetic and actual performance.

Side road (busy cut throughs and byways)
Again Speedstars would be used but will be dimmed during off peak times.

Side road residential would be a mix of previously installed SOX (left to reach its service life) and replacements would be done for Libra running 36W CFL or poss SOX depending on future availability. I would be asking residents as to what light source they prefer. As its their streets and they have to live with the lighting.

Footpaths would use 2nd gen mini Iridiums running LED again dimming and possible PIR control.

Cul de sacs and dead end side streets would see Delta's running 35W SOX as colour rendering is not as important, its more ambient lighting.

SON had its uses but its just no where near energy efficient.
LED also has its uses but side road is not as viable to utilise as SOX is still a viable option.
With Cosmo, glare is again an issue.

Profile  Personal album