It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:26 pm 

The Highways Agency, concerned about congestion along the M27 from J4 to J7 have commissioned me to procure new lighting for this dual three lane motorway. They are adamant that they want the new lighting to be verge mounted, and are insistent that there are high levels of illumination.

I have gone to Stainton and purchased some 15m tall galvanised octagonal steel columns from them. I have also purchased some siamese twin brackets, but have requested that the radius at which they protrude from the columns is larger. I then approached Philips and purchased some remote geared SRS201s with 180W SOX lamps, but with grey plastic spigot covers as used on the continent which give the appearance of small shoes. I chose remote geared lanterns for health and safety purposes, as they mitigate risks for manual handling by street lighting crews, reduce the strain on brackets, and are less likely to cause injury if a lantern should fall to the ground during an accident. The end result is a modern incarnation of what until recently could be found on the Belgian E19 motorway between Brussels and Antwerp.

The Highways Agency are also no longer content with the A27 north of Portsmouth between the M27 and A3(M) being unlit in the central reservation. So, between Hilsea and Farlington I have purchased some 12m Stainton galvanised octagonal steel columns, and between Farlington and Broadmarsh I have purchased some 15m Stainton galvanised steel columns. I have purchased some geared Philips SRS201 180W SOX lanterns for the 12m columns. Meanwhile, for the 15m columns I have sourced some lanterns from a foreign manufacturer called  Chue Chin Hua (CCH) Ltd. of Thailand, and opted for their HS3 lanterns running 400W SON. It is no coincidence that the new lighting is a bit like going back into the past, especially in the case of the 15m columns with their lookalike GEC Z8536 'turtles' which make the road look like it did back in 1980.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm 

It will be good to see some new SOX on the motorway network, and some new 'turtles'.  :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm 

Very simply, my policy would be white light, but with the ethic of converting existing lanterns where possible.

The recent work in the East Riding has shown that it has been viable to convert 25 year old Philips MA series lanterns from SOX to fluorescent. With new gear these lanterns have years of service left.

However if I were in charge of lighting the East Riding I would find a way of converting the thousands of Philips ME70/XGS201 lanterns that were installed in the early 1980's and trial LED, CFL and fluorescent adaptations to find the most cost effective adaptation.

All columns would be cream with brown bases, or with colours significant to the town/county.

For new installations I would install the following.

Side Roads - Siteco Streetlight 10 series LED lanterns

Residential - Philips/WRTL Flute (Bobek) 42w pl-l

Town Centres - Urbis Paseo

Main Roads and Motorways - Thorn Celest

Roundabouts DW Windsor Toro

Heritage areas Phosco p707 cosmo, there arent many other 'heritage' lanterns that I like

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:45 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Mercury style lanterns, e.g. Prefect's, Z5590's, Alpha 3's but run them off Cosmo lamps or CFL. Whilst at the same time installing Libra's and Residums.

Yes I would agree there, any of the Mercury lanterns, but I would possibly use the new LED domestic bulbs (But only when they have improved to 100 and 150w equivalent lumens!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm 
Random avatar

J T wrote:
Why controversial? You and the rest of em going to corner me in a dark alley just because I like Iridiums??  ;)

I too like the Iridium! Shhhh!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm 
Random avatar

Acacia Cat wrote:
These are what I'd install if I were a council.

MAIN ROADS
SGS203/4s and Vectras (Running white light off some sort) painted black on 10M black Fabrikat columns and tapered Stainton columns. For lesser main roads I would use SGS201/3s at 8M. The SOX choice would be a mixture of the MA series, Z9554s and Z9454s. For MBF I would use Alpha 3s/Z8524s. All of these would be on a mixture of straight, upcranked and S&L brackets (except the Staintons) Where more classy lanterns were needed, I would use Auroras and Carltons on those 180˚ brackets. Very busy roads like motorways would have black Trafficvisions and SGS204s.

SIDE ROADS
SGS201s on 5M S&L columns (with swan necks) or with stub brackets. SGS201s/3s on 6M stub brackets for busier roads. Z9531s, Z9583s, Z9481s on 5 swan necks and Mi26s on 6m stub brackets for SOX. MBF would be Revo Prefects and eleco welwyns on cast iron columns. Heritage would be Revo Eastbournes and Urbis Regents. Footpaths would have Elecoways, Gamma 5s and Gamma 6s.

I have to admit I'm more a fan of Mercury than I am of SOX, as I posted earlier I also like the Phosco P109 or P111 as used in Bath (But I would use Warm White LED).  I do like "Heritage" lanterns and I think it's a shame more councils don't use them!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:59 pm 
Random avatar

SilverRay88 wrote:
Very simply, my policy would be white light, but with the ethic of converting existing lanterns where possible.

The recent work in the East Riding has shown that it has been viable to convert 25 year old Philips MA series lanterns from SOX to fluorescent. With new gear these lanterns have years of service left.

However if I were in charge of lighting the East Riding I would find a way of converting the thousands of Philips ME70/XGS201 lanterns that were installed in the early 1980's and trial LED, CFL and fluorescent adaptations to find the most cost effective adaptation.

All columns would be cream with brown bases, or with colours significant to the town/county.

For new installations I would install the following.

Side Roads - Siteco Streetlight 10 series LED lanterns

Residential - Philips/WRTL Flute (Bobek) 42w pl-l

Town Centres - Urbis Paseo

Main Roads and Motorways - Thorn Celest

Roundabouts DW Windsor Toro

Heritage areas Phosco p707 cosmo, there arent many other 'heritage' lanterns that I like

I would agree here.  I think the best solution would be to use LED replacement lamps when they have improved sufficiently, or possibly the manufacturers should provide LED retrofits (Like WRTL RETROLED for Arc, Libra etc.)

If you have read my above post you will already know that I have said Phosco do a P111 and P109 LED version.  They also do a nice P516 LED lantern [On their website it looks like they have some of these in Warm White on Clifton Bridge in Bristol]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm 

If I were a council my policies would be to keep the number of columns installed to a minimum, and to use aluminium columns where functional lighting is installed. Keeping column numbers to a minimum would reduce maintenance costs and help reduce energy costs, and use of aluminium would enable columns to last much longer with the additional benefit of not needing painting, whether for aesthetic or corrosion prevention purposes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:52 am 
Random avatar

I'm not sure as I'm kind of new to this community, I think I would install Phosco SOX lanterns on pedestrianized areas such as parks and footpaths, Housing estates and back streets. Main A and B roads on the other hand I'm not sure, Probably be some of SOX variety!  :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Welcome to UKASTLE!

I can tell you really like SOX ;) Plenty of advantages of course, hence the reason why they were installed en masse in previous decades gone by. However, with bright, white LED technology starting to dominate roads (particularly minor), it would probably be harder to make a convincing argument for installing SOX, let down of course by its poorer colour rendering.  :cry:

Profile  Personal album