It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:30 pm 
Random avatar

How about this for a forgotten lantern? It's forgotten because all the others were replaced with DW Windsor Dovers about five years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
Random avatar
Northway:

This has been like this for years. I don't even remember the column being placed.

Looks to me like they were skint at the time when they placed it and were waiting for money to buy the lantern to top it.. but it seems they never got round to it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=northway ... 01,,0,0.09

The Alpha 3 is now a QSM!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:20 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Which Alpha 3? I can only see GEC Z8526s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:11 pm 
Random avatar
I don't know.. they both look the same. I'm not experienced with all these types. I only know the lanterns through Claire's website. The Pictures & Labels help me find out the name from what I see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Sorry, I wasn't trying to patronise - it's an easy mistake to make. It's because you said 'the' Alpha 3, I wasn't sure which one you were referring to and then thought maybe there is one I'm missing!

Quote:
I only know the lanterns through Claire's website.

Good choice! Simon C's site is also particularly helpful at identifying some of the older ones. I used to use Jon Salmon's site but this has since gone.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 pm 
Random avatar
It's fine, there will always be people who know more about lanterns than me.

I'm just a beginner really, which is why Claire's site helps me to sound technical in my posts.

I amazed myself today, I thought that new lantern on Bland's Cliff was a Phosco P111 and it was!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:28 pm 

13/14 years or so ago I used to go to see my Dad who lived in Byram near Pontefract at the time. I remember every now and again passing what looked like an abandoned installation on some wasteland. It could only see the occasional peek through the trees but it was the sort of mystery that rekindled my interest.

Anyway for some reason last night I remembered this and I after about half an hour's worth of searching I think I found it!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.70 ... 5,,0,-6.67

This was the view I got as a kid through a passenger window 10 years ago
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.70 ... 28,,1,1.62

Hard to tell what the land was once used for. but they certainly look like 5 or 6 Alpha 3s to me, albeit without bowls. Did they ever make a version without a bowl like they did for other turtle lanterns? Could be some vintage lamps in there.

Hard to date the installation from what we can see but I can tell you it looked like this 13/14 years ago but with more shrubbery around it.

Anyway Google Maps brings back childhood memories! Brilliant

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:27 am 

I've seen those Alpha 3s myself when I was out on the pushbike, at a guess, I do think that they could be connected with an old road alignment. I say this because of the way the brackets are directed towards the current carriageway. I don't think anything was on that site previously, I'd have to have a look in the local archives in Ponte.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Administration

This GEC Z5590 still survives in a village south of Guildford. Long disused - new lighting was installed at least 6 years ago, it still appears to have a service connected to the AC Ford control box.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm 
Random avatar
This was missed out of the replacement scheme on this road which originally was home to 11-odd Phosco P222s on the 'Chunky' columns, which were replaced with Beige Steel Pole Columns with Flat Bowl Iridiums. The reason is at the time the post had scaffolding over it and so it could not be replaced, since it is a narrow pavement and the scaffolding took up a bit of room.

I am curious about this road - I pass through it on foot Thursday afternoons, after my only lesson. The chunky columns stop here, there is a few odd columns here and then there is a whole row of these ,expect for these (2 further up). I reckon the deep bowls were replacements for the Z9580s on Chunky Columns, then they just stopped suddenly.

It looks then as if when the replacement van comes round this area, they will just replace the chunky posts rather than the steel, since steel columns seem to be abandoned these days when the replacement time has come, it used to be that if there is a larger ratio of concretes (or chunkies in this case) to Steel Columns, then both types would get replaced, with the ones replacing steel not being painted, and the others being painted Beige.