It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

This abandoned GEC Clearmain mounted on an in-house made bracket was kindly saved for me by the owner's, when the building it was attached to, was demolished a few months ago.  Incredibly, the lantern was fitted with a 700w MBF lamp!

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/324907/34777831

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/324907/34778101

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 pm 
Random avatar

This is down the road from me in Sandbank.

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

The odd working GR100 still remains on the adjacent road.

Since part of the thread title is "unfinished replacement schemes" I think the next example, although still working, just about merits posting in here.

The Alpha 3 defiantly remains despite the stretch ahead of it being replaced almost entirely by ZX3s (or 2s), some years ago. There is one other Alpha 3, but it's missing it's bowl, so I'm fairly confident the one pictured is the only intact one left in my area. I seem to remember that in the 90s the entire stretch was lit with Alpha 3s, and it's quite odd that the replacement scheme ended here with one Alpha 3 to go. The lanterns behind the camera are a mix of Alpha 8s and Z8600s, so also newer. I'd like to think there's a logical reason for it, but truthfully my theories are probably far from the reality!

Oh, and it runs SON.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 pm 
Random avatar

Here are the forgotten Hyperions I mentioned near Greenock Central railway station:

No idea whether they light, most probably not as it's an overgrown area that seems to have been forgotten about for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 pm 

There are a few installations in Southampton that appear to have been "lost" from the inventory somehow, or when I say inventory I mean the online fault reporting map. Unsurprisingly these have survived the PFI replacements to date whilst surrounding columns have been replaced or had their lanterns changed.

The extent to which the PFI is an unfinished scheme is yet to be clear, as officially the core investment period doesn't end until the end of March, although there is at least one scheme due for implementation after this date. But as for the installations that have been "lost" from the map, how long will these survive? I don't really want to name locations yet, for fear it could be famous last words, but let's just say the lamp types they use will soon be subject to a lamp ban...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:24 pm 

I was strolling around Southdown (i was feeling lucky) and encountered this.
Clicky
Its an Ma at main road height, but isn't illuminating a road, so I can't guess what it's doing there  :? . I wasn't illuminating the nearby primary school, as the carpark is on the other side. You can see another one here
Clicky
They can both be seen here
clicky

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:29 pm 

trencheel303 wrote:

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

Looks like a ELECO GR501, 55W SOX, a GR100 would look much bigger at 5m and this has a rounded canopy, the GR100, 150 and 200 have angled points at the tip of the canopy.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 pm 

Beta 5 wrote:
trencheel303 wrote:

Looks like a ELECO GR501, 55W SOX, a GR100 would look much bigger at 5m and this has a rounded canopy, the GR100, 150 and 200 have angled points at the tip of the canopy.

I'd say it was a Thorn Beta 8. The GR501 is much slimmer in profile and doesn't have a gear tray option.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 am 
Random avatar

Any pictures of abandoned columns would be nice, one example I found is this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.93963 ... 401T000000

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Beta 5 wrote:
trencheel303 wrote:

I'd say it was a Thorn Beta 8. The GR501 is much slimmer in profile and doesn't have a gear tray option.

Strangely enough there is one of these lanterns in Carlisle on Mayfield road. It is a "GR501" with a deep bowl and does include control gear. It is a strange variant of the lantern.

Please see following GSV

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.86355 ... e0!6m1!1e1

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:42 pm 

On an Eleco aluminium column too.

Profile  Personal album