It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 pm 
Random avatar

Found some nice abandoned lanterns in Ammanford this weekend, all on the site of the Bettws colliery, most of which is now an industrial estate. There are a few of these columns still left around the site, and the lanterns are GLS, there being no gear in the columns base. Must have been quite a hefty wattage on those lamps!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ammanford&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.614771,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ammanford,+Dyfed,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.79378,-3.972443&spn=0.001496,0.003428&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.79371,-3.972342&panoid=BWF9ECLLw89fyWAW3auUKw&cbp=12,177.41,,2,-13.24

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 pm 
Random avatar

Great find those Mike, a pity they don't work though! I remember seeing a very similar installation on an old coal mine in Nottinghamshire so I wonder if these were a standard installation of the National Coal Board at the time? The columns are CU Highways methinks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:01 pm 

Not sure if this is an old column but if it is then it means it hasn't been in use since the 1960s and was even missed in a recent replacement scheme.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 pm 

It could be an old column, or it could be the remains of one of those old sewer vent pipes. There used to be loads of them about when I was a kid, but they don't seem to be used anymore, and many are cut off at the base.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:09 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:
It could be an old column, or it could be the remains of one of those old sewer vent pipes. There used to be loads of them about when I was a kid, but they don't seem to be used anymore, and many are cut off at the base.

There are quite a few in my town.

There are more around, but they are difficult to see on Streetview. They've never been cut at the base or anything, and I walk past the third one quite a lot, even when I was younger and I used to think it was an old column for streetlights, but they were taller than the then various 5m columns, rather than the new 6m columns with SGS 201s and Iridiums. It was always a mystery to me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Administration

Lampman's link is almost certainly a cut down and redundant sewer vent pipe. Several reasons - it doesn't quite look right for a column, being open to the air the service supply would have had to be removed for safety - so if excavating for that, it would have been fairly easy to remove the column stub, a vent pipe isn't as it is connected to a pipe which would need to be capped. I suspect a concrete plug has been inserted in that one.

Here is one from where I used to live. Salisbury doesn't seem to have any.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:17 pm 
Random avatar

this is the only one in wolston.
Note the concrete lampost and beta 4 in front  :)  runs son tho  :(

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 68.04,,0,5

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:05 am 

There's a few vent pipes round this way. One that's cut off is at Huntington Road near the iron bridge that caries a cycle track across (used to be a railway) - but it's the only cut off one I know off. all the others still stand tall. Fairly rusty, but they're there, and most are a mid green colour. I used to think they were tram poles that never got removed.

A new development has them too. Birch Park estate (round the corner from me) was built about 10 years ago - and presumably on either a marsh, contaminated land, or something like that - because there are vent pipes everywhere. the Royal Mail depot has loads of them about 1m up from ground level with those silver spinny things you normally see on house chimneys that have central heating boilers connected to the chimney... but the interesting but is round the corner where ther are some flats. Round the back of the flats are 8-10m high vent pipes, and fabricated on the top are frames designed to look like 'Windosr' type gas lights. Only things that give them away are (1) how freakishly high up they are, (2) no glass or mantles, (3) a giant black painted spinny thing that goes round inside the frame!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 am 

There is one in Wooldale near to Holmfirth, i originally thought i held a gas lantern or even a tungsten or mercury fitting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 am 

The ones in York all have cast into them "Adams Hydraulics", which is a local company who also make the drain grates

Profile  Personal album