It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 pm 
Random avatar

We can't have a thread about unfinished schemes without mentioning Calton Road in Edinburgh. The new columns went in 2003 and have remain unpainted, meanwhile the four post centenarian Mackenzie Bros. cast iron columns (thought to be the oldest in Edinburgh) soldier on, and I think all the old lanterns still light up at night. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,2,-11.53

In my neck of the woods is this wee relic that has survived at least two replacements:- http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5,,2,-5.63 it has outlived all the other 60s vintage Phoswares, and several early 90s SGS203s and ZX3s. It is the last 35w-er of the two streets that were 35w SOX territory.

sotonsteve wrote:
Going off topic further, there is this old traction pole with top entry Eleco HW509 in Portsmouth. Column replacement was done by Hampshire County Council in the mid-1990s, but this one column in the middle of the scheme was missed out. Around 15 years have passed, and that includes the 5 year bulk column replacement programme as part of Portsmouth's PFI. And throughout all of this the traction pole has had its lantern relamped; the last relamp was only last year, so it is not as if it has been abandoned. Eventually it will just get casually replaced.

That is a lovely column. When time is finally called on the lantern, if the column is still in good nick it would be nice if it was painted and had a teardrop or something installed.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 pm 

tobyjtb wrote:
We can't have a thread about unfinished schemes without mentioning Calton Road in Edinburgh. The new columns went in 2003 and have remain unpainted, meanwhile the four post centenarian Mackenzie Bros. cast iron columns (thought to be the oldest in Edinburgh) soldier on, and I think all the old lanterns still light up at night. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,2,-11.53

They're near Waverly Train station aren't they? I think I have seen these as they are awfully familiar (I remember it raining too on the day I saw them!)

also, this is an old lantern:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 06539&z=18

when you arrive in edinburgh by train, this will most likely be the first column you see out in the open air:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 06539&z=18 - which is the same type of column.

(and since we're here, might as well link to these ones:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 06539&z=18 )

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:24 pm 
Random avatar

On Barrack Road in Christchurch, Dorset is this lone MA50 standing among Thorn Alpha 3s

Whether it was a casual replacement for an Alpha 3 at some point and was ordered by mistake instead of an SON lantern or if the columns had SOX on them before the Alpha 3s and the MA50 was a new casual replacement for an SOX lantern and so was left unreplaced is a bit of a mystery. I would think it were probably an accidental order as other casual replacements for Alpha 3s on this stretch of road are Alpha 8s and SGS203s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:32 pm 

Rojojnr wrote:
On Barrack Road in Christchurch, Dorset is this lone MA50 standing among Thorn Alpha 3s

Whether it was a casual replacement for an Alpha 3 at some point and was ordered by mistake instead of an SON lantern or if the columns had SOX on them before the Alpha 3s and the MA50 was a new casual replacement for an SOX lantern and so was left unreplaced is a bit of a mystery. I would think it were probably an accidental order as other casual replacements for Alpha 3s on this stretch of road are Alpha 8s and SGS203s.

The MA50s on this road are casual replacements that were done by the PFI contractor in about 2007 and replaced SON lanterns such as Alpha 3s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 am 
Random avatar

Quote:
The MA50s on this road are casual replacements that were done by the PFI contractor in about 2007 and replaced SON lanterns such as Alpha 3s.

How weird! Christchurch Borough Council have followed Liverpool then and replaced SON with SOX! Seeing as Dorset is mostly an SON county, suddenly becoming a little faithful to SOX seems nothing short of crazy!

While I was hunting for the other MA50s you mentioned, I stumbled across this on one of the island crossings on the same road:

An Eleco post-top on a very rusty column

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:11 am 

Rojojnr wrote:
While I was hunting for the other MA50s you mentioned, I stumbled across this on one of the island crossings on the same road:

An Eleco post-top on a very rusty column

These are Phosco P170s, common in Bournemouth Borough.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 am 
Random avatar

On a waste disposal site adjacent to the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach near Stratford is this lone Z9554 on an S&L column from the 70s.

I would assume that this is a private installation judging by its location, but the road it is located on is called WIck Lane, so it looks to have been a road at some point that probably got cut off when the A12 was constructed through the area. Also notice the blue columns with SGS203s on the A12 itself - they look to me like 1960s fold-down Abacus columns, which makes me think that there may have been another lantern installed on these columns before the SGS203s came along.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:39 pm 
Random avatar

Rojojnr wrote:
Quote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4,,1,-2.92

The concrete column was where the Sapphire 1 is, and the bracket brought the lantern to the green shrubbery. Clearly the council couldn't bear to see the old supply going unused and installed a Sapphire 1 there, as well as a Sapphire 2 (nothing was there before) a few yards in front. If you look carefully, you can see a new Sapphire on telegraph pole, and another Sapphire between the two Sapphires I was originally talking about! And if you think that's crazy, there is a Turtle just behind the camera!

Yeah, that's very insane indeed! Not only has that junction been well overlit, the second Turtle you mention behind the camera which went unreplaced from before was left AGAIN after the one on the concrete column was replaced! I think the theory that councils only listen to what computers tell them and not their own observations certainly stands! That's very unlike a council to see old power supplies be re-used too - with the throwaway attitude of most councils these days, I would've thought they would've removed the entire power supply and installed a new one afresh where that Sapphire 2 is. I suppose they thought it would save money, but exactly how has it done that for them to install TWO new columns and lanterns in place of one? Why didn't they just install a Sapphire 2 where the old column was with a long bracket? Clearly your council can't seem to afford long brackets and so install two columns to carry it off! Mental is the word!  :roll:

Bizarrely only half that hill got relit - The rest of the hill was originally Turtles (Hinge from shoe and standard), Alpha 3s and SGS203s, but because a couple of the Turtles are aging/have failed, they are just retrofitting Iridiums to the columns, despite being from the 1970s now as it's be a big inconvenience to pull the old one, and set a new one without closing the whole road. Acceptable if you are replacing more than one installation maybe. I think the council/private contractors were worried that installing a Sapphire where the old Turtle was may have lit the shrubbery too much, but I think it would have been acceptable to have a Sapphire 2 where the old column was, or one where it currently is without having the footpath lit. It's only about 2 metres away from the road anyway, so 2 lanterns is completely unjustifiable.

Yeah, they don't seem to install long brackets anymore, but there again they never seem to install main road lanterns post-top either, meaning short brackets (but not stubs) and medium length brackets are used most often.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:04 pm 
Random avatar

Found this disused lantern round the back of the post office in Bryncethin near Bridgend yesterday. It is rather well hidden from the main road unless you know where to look, I just happened to glance that way when passing and saw it on the building.
Apologies for the poor photos, taken quickly with my phone.

Looks like an Eleco Welwyn Mk3, as it has the circular top to it. The bracket, control box etc are all Revo products however. The Revo name being proudly cast into all the parts I could see.
The refractor is obviously seriously damaged, and the remains of an 80W MBF lamp can be seen sticking out.
Im going to pop round and speak to the owner of the house later to see about the possibility of a rescue  :)

Mike.