It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm 

QSM Quandary wrote:
because of the recession

Recession is definitely not the reason, as this stuff was happening long before any signs of a recession.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Administration

Stelmer wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
Well you think that is bad, how about a lantern which has been forgotton twice and survived 2 relighting schemes?

Take a look at this and this.

Nice. Does it still work?

I see it's on a private house....i'd take ownership and wire it in as a porch light if it was my house. :lol:

Nope, unfortunately not.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

That's true about this happening before the recession though a fair few organisations are blaming the recession for their problems!

Obviously what is happening with the Dorset PFI I suspect has nothing to do with the recession because the Wareham Road neglect happened in early 2008 and they were doing a shoddy job more or less when the PFI works began in c.2007 and things have noticeably got worse when SEC bought out EDF which originally ran the PFI.

Replacing older metal-halide Iridiums on 12m columns (installed in 2004) with SON Iridiums on 8m columns is one good example!

I have a feeling the work quality will go down when an organisation grows to mammoth size after numerous takeovers and buyouts - like SEC having too many fingers in pies with all the Dorset, Leeds, Stoke & South Coast etc. PFI contracts in hand.

Maybe if a smaller local company handles a PFI then they could do the job better but then perhaps not because costs can be sky high and it will end up getting taken over by the likes of SEC!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:03 am 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 48438&z=12

This rather scabby XGS201 is a forgotten installation that survived 2 replacements. A slightly newer XGS201 on a 5m metal column was installed in the mid 90's (roughly where that new un-topped pole is now - zoom out once), and it survived replacement by the Arc that stands there currently. When I came past one time (and I have a pic somewhere), I came when there were three lanterns on site: the forgotten 201, the newer 201, and the Arc!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:36 pm 
Random avatar

I'm not sure if it has been forgotten, but this concrete installation appears to have survived 2 relighting schemes. I know all the columns down this road were once Avenue columns, however most were replaced in the 90s with Thorn Beta 5s on new columns. Those that weren't were replaced in the 2000s with SGS201s and new columns. The other side of the column now has nearly the whole estate lit with SGS201s after all columns on most of the roads were removed. But oddly it remains. The lamp is black now but there seems to have been some work done around the bracket joint...

Here's another on West Ashton Road The whole street is lit by SON in for form of new Sapphire 2s, or slightly older SGS203s which didn't need replacing. There was an ERleco lantern in the trees which didn't get replaced but that's out of the way. But this GEC lantern is right in an open area, in the middle of the road where the replacement took place. It has a new identification number on it, but why on earth wasn't that (or the Eleco lantern and column) replaced? Yet all others were?!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:50 am 

Up in Elland Upper Edge there is a path which has cast iron columns still in place, sadly the brackets have rusted and fallen off or they have been vandalised as not one has a lantern on them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:30 pm 
Random avatar

Found an abandoned Eleco Welwyn today near Llangeinor, these things seem to be following me! Judging by the very small cast iron box fixed to the pole, which I think had Revo on it, I assume it used to house a long gone GLS bulb. There certainly didn't seem to be room for a ballast for an MBF lamp.
Worth trying to save you think?

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Administration

Definetly, both lantern and bracket. Don't know who you would ask though. Is the pole disused as well - no power or telephone lines on it?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:48 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Definetly, both lantern and bracket. Don't know who you would ask though. Is the pole disused as well - no power or telephone lines on it?

Yes the pole is totally disused. There are two insulators near the top of the pole, from which dangle short lengths of wire from an old overhead route. It was actually these white insulators that drew my attention to the pole, it being rather well camouflaged amongst the trees. I think its a private road leading to a farm, so probably worth asking the farmer.
Is the bracket a commerical piece? or is it something made up locally with any steel strip lying around at the time?

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Administration

Worth asking the farmer about it then. The bracket looks "homemade" rather than a mass produced item.

Profile  Personal album