It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Administration

The Surrey PFI has missed this in its replacements in Guildford.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 pm 
Random avatar

This SGS203, MA50 and the Z9554 on the long bracket behind the camera on Chigwell Road are still standing, despite having Furyos installed next to them and now in nightly service.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 pm 

Wellsway has LED lanterns installed on the existing columns, but two Iridiums are still standing.

Here and here

It looks very odd at night!

(Note: The Iridium-2s aren't there in the street view link, just in case you didn't know)

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 pm 
Random avatar

These lamps are on a private road linking the main road to Castle Toward, but I still think they're worthy of posting. They're very old what look like mercury lamps hung from concrete columns.

closer

This is one of the only ones with lantern intact. Others up the road have either nothing or just the bulb, which is where I got my guess they were mercury. If not possibly incandescent. At first we actually thought they were gas, until we saw what remains of the electrics round the back. The panel was missing, so I had a look:

I'd wager a bet these haven't had lecky flowing through them for years if not decades, probably since the castle fell out of general use. No idea on date, could do with some help on that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Administration

Good find. The columns are Revo Myrons dating from the 1950s. My picture of another one here but with a different bracket.

The lanterns probably aren't original, they are actually domestic lanterns by Coughtrie of Glasgow.

The lantern design dates back decades and is still available. The lamps are likely to be tungsten/incandescent rather than mercury.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:15 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks Phosco, you sure are a wealth of information!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:41 am 

Revo Myron columns with their brackets still in place are very hard to find now.

The bowls on these lights are discoloured from UV exposure... whether this is just from sunlight, or whether any self-ballasted mercury lamps have been used inside them in the past, is unclear.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 pm 
Random avatar

I think the following definitely belongs in this thread - I remembered this strange bunch from an urbex I did a number of years ago of the old ICI/Nobel factory at Ardeer (near Stevenston), SW Scotland.

Although I wasn't much interested in street lamps back then, these monstrosities caught my eye and had to be photographed.

Unfortunately the image is not the best, I used too wide an angle (this is already a crop) so a fair bit of detail was lost. The columns were pretty high, but the distance between them might have been exacerbated by the wide angle. This was some kind of car park I think.

A close up of the foreground lantern shows a very long canopy, possibly moreso than 180W SOX, and some remains of wiring:

Time obviously took their toll on most of these but at the background of the picture, it appears one lantern did remain intact, and here's the best I could do:

I'm not expecting identification from this, but if I had to guess I'd say these were likely to be fluorescent rather than SOX? If I've got my history right it'd tie in with the running of the factory. The answers probably lie in smashed remnants on the ground below these, if only I was into this subject at the time - alas hindsight is always too late.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:12 am 

These look as if they could be Thorn Alpha 5 lanterns, perhaps for SLI lamps given that there appears to be a dangling lampholder at the "road" end of the lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm 
Random avatar

I spotted a corker the other day, a bunch of Hyperions in a very overgrown and disused yard of some sort.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.94399 ... !2e0?hl=en

It's right next to the railway line and is near Greenock Central railway station. I'm not sure they still work (even if there was still power, I doubt they'd have any working lamps left) so I'm putting these down as abandoned/forgotten rather than survivors.

I was also on the Glasgow Central to East Kilbride railway line and saw a SOX lantern just off to the side of the railtrack standing, surrounded by bushes! It was very odd, there's no road or even path that I could see and it had clearly been there for decades.