It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am

All times are UTC






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ] 


Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:18 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 967
Images: 24
This abandoned GEC Clearmain mounted on an in-house made bracket was kindly saved for me by the owner's, when the building it was attached to, was demolished a few months ago.  Incredibly, the lantern was fitted with a 700w MBF lamp!


http://www.ipernity.com/doc/324907/34777831

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/324907/34778101


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 pm 
Offline
Member
Random avatar

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 7:43 pm
Posts: 141
Images: 37
This is down the road from me in Sandbank.

Image

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

The odd working GR100 still remains on the adjacent road.

Since part of the thread title is "unfinished replacement schemes" I think the next example, although still working, just about merits posting in here.

Image

The Alpha 3 defiantly remains despite the stretch ahead of it being replaced almost entirely by ZX3s (or 2s), some years ago. There is one other Alpha 3, but it's missing it's bowl, so I'm fairly confident the one pictured is the only intact one left in my area. I seem to remember that in the 90s the entire stretch was lit with Alpha 3s, and it's quite odd that the replacement scheme ended here with one Alpha 3 to go. The lanterns behind the camera are a mix of Alpha 8s and Z8600s, so also newer. I'd like to think there's a logical reason for it, but truthfully my theories are probably far from the reality!

Oh, and it runs SON.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 pm 
Offline
Member
Random avatar

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 7:43 pm
Posts: 141
Images: 37
Here are the forgotten Hyperions I mentioned near Greenock Central railway station:

Image

Image

No idea whether they light, most probably not as it's an overgrown area that seems to have been forgotten about for a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm
Posts: 1686
Images: 200
There are a few installations in Southampton that appear to have been "lost" from the inventory somehow, or when I say inventory I mean the online fault reporting map. Unsurprisingly these have survived the PFI replacements to date whilst surrounding columns have been replaced or had their lanterns changed.

The extent to which the PFI is an unfinished scheme is yet to be clear, as officially the core investment period doesn't end until the end of March, although there is at least one scheme due for implementation after this date. But as for the installations that have been "lost" from the map, how long will these survive? I don't really want to name locations yet, for fear it could be famous last words, but let's just say the lamp types they use will soon be subject to a lamp ban...


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:24 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 115
Images: 12
Location: Bath
I was strolling around Southdown (i was feeling lucky) and encountered this.
Clicky
Its an Ma at main road height, but isn't illuminating a road, so I can't guess what it's doing there  :? . I wasn't illuminating the nearby primary school, as the carpark is on the other side. You can see another one here
Clicky
They can both be seen here
clicky

_________________
Take my dog's fleas.
╔═╗┌─┐┌─ ┐  ┌─┐┬ ┌─ ┐
╠═╣│    ├─┤ │     │ ├─┤
╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:29 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:20 am
Posts: 173
Images: 22
trencheel303 wrote:
This is down the road from me in Sandbank.

Image

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

The odd working GR100 still remains on the adjacent road.


Looks like a ELECO GR501, 55W SOX, a GR100 would look much bigger at 5m and this has a rounded canopy, the GR100, 150 and 200 have angled points at the tip of the canopy.

_________________
Thorn Beta 5 1965 - 2008 Top / Side entry


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm
Posts: 1686
Images: 200
Beta 5 wrote:
trencheel303 wrote:
This is down the road from me in Sandbank.

Image

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

The odd working GR100 still remains on the adjacent road.


Looks like a ELECO GR501, 55W SOX, a GR100 would look much bigger at 5m and this has a rounded canopy, the GR100, 150 and 200 have angled points at the tip of the canopy.


I'd say it was a Thorn Beta 8. The GR501 is much slimmer in profile and doesn't have a gear tray option.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 am 
Offline
Random avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:01 pm
Posts: 5
Any pictures of abandoned columns would be nice, one example I found is this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.93963 ... 401T000000


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 299
Images: 6
sotonsteve wrote:
Beta 5 wrote:
trencheel303 wrote:
This is down the road from me in Sandbank.

Image

It looks like it was a GR100 at some point, although not a lot of it remains. This is a car park which oddly is empty almost all of the time, so lighting it is of little use anyway.

The odd working GR100 still remains on the adjacent road.


Looks like a ELECO GR501, 55W SOX, a GR100 would look much bigger at 5m and this has a rounded canopy, the GR100, 150 and 200 have angled points at the tip of the canopy.


I'd say it was a Thorn Beta 8. The GR501 is much slimmer in profile and doesn't have a gear tray option.



Strangely enough there is one of these lanterns in Carlisle on Mayfield road. It is a "GR501" with a deep bowl and does include control gear. It is a strange variant of the lantern.

Please see following GSV

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.86355 ... e0!6m1!1e1

Regards,

Andrew.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 967
Images: 24
On an Eleco aluminium column too.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ] 

All times are UTC



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



Search for: