It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Airport lighting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 am 
Random avatar

I was just wondering what lighting types airports in the UK and overseas used for their carparks, service roads etc.

I was recently at Newcastle Airport which mainly uses Thorn Lanterns Alpha 2000s for carparks mostly on 8m columns although in one of the newer car parks they have been mounted on 6m columns and they look huge. They also use old Thorn floodlights mounted to Thorn aluminium columns, there are 4 floods fitted to each column, although a WRTL Stela has been fitted to one of the Thorn columns and its light output at 12m is impressive.

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Airport lighting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:22 am 

Looking at Heathrow you might say it uses anything it can lay its hands on. The list of lanterns includes Atlas Alpha 3, Thorn Alpha 8, Thorn Alpha 2000, Thorn Civic, Thorn Riviera, Thorn Pilote, WRTL Arc, Holophane Brooklyn, Holophane QSS, Holophane QSM, Tamlite Tamcrest, Nordex Astra 1, Nordex Astra 2, Kingfisher Kaos, Philips SGS253 Iridium, Philips Malaga SGS102, Philips MA90, Philips MA50, Philips SGS201, Philips SGS203, Philips SGS306 TrafficVision, GEC Z8520, GEC Z8526, GEC Z9545, GEC Z9555, GEC Z9543, GEC Z9553, Phosco P567, Phosco P678, Urbis ZX1, Urbis ZX2, Urbis ZX3, and Urbis Sapphire 2, just to list those I know of, and there are others I may not have seen.

The latest installations that I have seen installed over the past six months are the Thorn Riviera, WRTL Arc, Holophane QSM, Nordex Astra 1 and Tamlite Tamcrest. Evidently the airport owners just go for the best deal of the time when they want new lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:38 pm 
Random avatar

Yes i believe that must be the case, from what I remeber Thorn seems to have been popular with airports inside and out. As from what I can remember parts of Luton use the GRP Alpha 8. Thorn seems to be popular just not with councils.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:16 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stansted Airport's original car park is lit by 90 W GEC Bricks, however, the newer car parks use ZX3s. Slip roads around the airport tend to favour the flat-glass MRL 6 and occasionally SGS306s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 pm 
Random avatar

Blackpool Airport has a service road lit by WRTL SRL8s on 5m columns but used to have a combination of Thorn Alpha 3s and Beta 6s until the early 90s when the SRL8s replaced them.

Lanzarote Airport has Alpha 3s in the car park as well running SON on attractive columns with rounded brackets similar to S&L-type columns.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:51 am 
Site Administration

At Gatwick Airport, on Airport Way, the M23 spur, the Highways Agency have just completed replacing the 1970s twin bracket 10m hex section columns which were fitted with SGS203s but almost certainly were originally fitted with MA60s, with new stepped tubular aluminium columns fitted with Iridiums.

The long stay car parks look they have also been recently refurbished with steel tubular columns and Cosmo Iridiums.

A hint to Gatwick's past lighting can still be seen is some areas. The road from the long stay car parks to the south terminal has a number 10m S&L columns with single curved brackets similar to this double bracket version. They have lost their original lanterns and are fitted with various SON lanterns.

However in the car hire compounds are more of these columns all still fitted with GEC Z9555 135W SOX lanterns. These installations would be late 1960s/early 1970s and must have been installed during one of the expansion stages to the south terminal at that time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm 
Random avatar

Newcastle Airport has had the lighting in one of its car parks changed to 45W LED lanterns. The previous lantern were Thorn Alpha 2000s running 150W SON. They were at a tiny spacing and mounted on 6.5M columns. I have been under these lanterns and they looked huge at this height.

Here is the article, looks like another unknown LED lantern producer: http://www.mhalighting.co.uk/index.php/ ... l-airport/

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm 
Site Administration

Shame whoever wrote the press article doesn't know the difference between in access  and excess.  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:50 pm 
Random avatar

I wonder why the article has the Philips and Trac logos at the bottom? Are MHA working in partnership with those companies?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Administration

2 years ago, the BBC TV series the "Secret Life of the Airport" showed fluorescent lighting in the central area of Heathrow Airport during the 1950s and 1960s. At the time, the best images were screen shots from iPlayer.

However I've found this much clear shot from 1963. There is also this shot from 1967 showing the profile of the lanterns.

Profile  Personal album