It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 am 

Yes, mechanical timeclocks can jam (and there's one on the next street from me that has a habit of doing that... it's just been fixed a couple of weeks ago by the night crew, but had been on for about 3 weeks 24 hours a day). Having a close look, those cells do look like blanker cells.. so surely the quick fix here is to install NEMA cells on the suitable lanterns (not the GEC Z9480 as that has no cell at all) or fit a new clock in the master column. Yet somehow this seems not to be possible.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am 

Alot of Sheffield's residential and some main routes are Group Switched. Most of the replacement lanterns (originals having no cells) have blanking cells fitted which is bizzare considering the age of the original switchgear.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
Alot of Sheffield's residential and some main routes are Group Switched. Most of the replacement lanterns (originals having no cells) have blanking cells fitted which is bizzare considering the age of the original switchgear.

That's solved that mystery then! What a strange way to light the roads in this day and age but that's Sheffield for you  :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am 
Random avatar

It's funny you should bring up this area in Sheffield as I actually live just around the corner. They use really puzzling setups, sometimes you see older installations on photocell-controlled group switch circuits yet more modern installs on time-clocks. I've been exploring that area for a long time trying to locate the control point for the lanterns on my road with no luck. Then again, they stick as many lanterns as they can fit onto a single group so finding out what actually happened to all those lanterns could forever be a mystery!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 am 

It is most likely that without a column key, you won't find the control point - as there'll be one column with a clock in it that is controlling the street. The only other option is to go along a street at a really quiet hour like 2am, and walk slowly past each column to try and hear any whirring or clicking noises to give away a timeclock inside.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
It is most likely that without a column key, you won't find the control point - as there'll be one column with a clock in it that is controlling the street. The only other option is to go along a street at a really quiet hour like 2am, and walk slowly past each column to try and hear any whirring or clicking noises to give away a timeclock inside.

You may find that the control point is actually inside a sub station somewhere. Sometimes the clock may be inside the sub itself, or in a pillar next to the building. If this is the case then maybe a lack of authorisation means that nobody from the lighting crews can access it to repair? The lights that are not dayburning may have the cells still connected, or they may be jointed off the main rather than the 5th core, and so are individual... Interesting stuff all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Then there's that street full of dayburning lanterns which were left like that for months, and no, they're not RF-switched before anybody suggests it  :lol:

If you start from here and travel along the road, you will see that virtually every lantern is dayburning! Now every lantern appears to have it's own individual photocell so how this has come to happen I don't know. The Google SV car recorded this road in August 2008 but in June 2009 Claire took photos of two of the lanterns - still dayburning! Image and Image

I wonder if there's any clock in this compound? Seems right area....
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Orgreav ... ,2.15&z=16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:58 pm 
Random avatar

It makes sense. On google streetview, the lanterns that are fitted with actual photocells rarely appear to be dayburning where as those that are groupswitched (either have dummy cells or no cells), there seems to be MANY cases of dayburning strings so maybe the group cell or clock is in the substation meaning the council don't have easy access to stop them dayburning. So I agree Gramma6, it definitely seems to explain how many lanterns dayburn in Sheffield  :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 am 

It would make sense especially if the dayburners are connected to a 5th core as Versalift suggests

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 am 
Random avatar

The Dutch seem to group swich whole villages,
Never seen a dayburner over there!!

Profile  Personal album