It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm 

Mayster Grove in Rastrick, Calderdale has a few group switched lanterns but that is the only place I know of that does.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:59 pm 

Something I forgot to mention:

The A639 at Adwick-Le-Street in Doncaster has group switched SOX lanterns. One section was dayburning last winter - you might remember me taking a photo. The lanterns are Z9554s with MA50 replacements which some have photocells on them, despite the lanterns all being group switched.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
Random avatar

There's no group- switching in Lancashire as far as I'm aware.

I'm surprised group-switching was never more common as surely it makes sense from a financial perspective to just buy one photocell and wire it up to all the other lanterns in the street rather than the expense of individual photocells which, in some streets, seem to vary wildly with their switching times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:13 pm 

Actually I've forgotten about two blindingly obvious group switching schemes... of which I can see one from my bedroom window!
This one is Katryn Avenue in the Monks Cross area of York... the first two columns with the car dealership on one side and Aldi on the other are normal celled operation. But then the columns change to 8m Corus columns with Kingfisher Serika lanterns installed, and these go all the way to the rugby stadium and to the park and ride site.... on the corner after just passing aldi heading towards the stadium is a feeder pillar, which houses a SELC 850 electronic timer that group switches all the 8m columns. One column has a QSM casual replacement fitted, which has a cell on. It is still on the group switched supply though, and so the clock switches on and the QSM starts to warm up but then switches off until a little bit later when the cell kicks in. The clock had previously developed a fault causing the lanterns to dayburn... this later changed to the lanterns being on by day and off by night... but now has been fixed to coming on at early sunset and switching off at about 10.30pm. By this time the rugby club has finished any practice sessions (matches are on sunday afternoons), the swimming pool and gym are closed, and the P&R shut at least 2 hours previous - so the only traffic that should be on the road are cyclists going to/from work, or me on a late night check route!
The other group switch scheme is part of the same development - a cycle path that runs from Katryn Avenue around the outskirts of the P&R site, and down to New Lane. The lanterns are Urbis K-Lux's on abacus base hinged columns (except one WRTL 2042 which recently replaced a badly vandalised K-Lux) and some are casual replacements and so have cells fitted, but the whole lot seems to be switched from a feeder pillar on New Lane at the entrance to the pathway.

The Monks Cross Park and ride site is lit by lanterns all switched from the amenity building. The Derwent Valley cycle route used to be group switched, with an empty feeder pillar at the Wigginton Road end being testament to that - but other feeders along the way have likely been modified as the route is now lit by lanterns with their own cells.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 am 
Site Administration

Gramma6 wrote:
There's no group- switching in Lancashire as far as I'm aware.

I'm surprised group-switching was never more common as surely it makes sense from a financial perspective to just buy one photocell and wire it up to all the other lanterns in the street rather than the expense of individual photocells which, in some streets, seem to vary wildly with their switching times.

But its not though. A photocell costs a few pounds when bought in bulk. Even on overhead line which used to be the most common form of group switching, the extra copper cable and insulators cost more than a timeswitch (back then) and certainly considerably more than a photocell now.

For underground cable systems you have to run a second cable to form the switched supply as well as the existing supply cable which would be running down the street, which again has huge cost implications. The only possible time it would be cheaper is when there are columns and no existing supply cable along the road (for houses, shops, factories etc) which is why group switching nowadays (always exceptions – Edinburgh for example where new group switching in the city has been installed in several locations) is usually limited to main roads and motorways, not built up areas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
But its not though. A photocell costs a few pounds when bought in bulk. Even on overhead line which used to be the most common form of group switching, the extra copper cable and insulators cost more than a timeswitch (back then) and certainly considerably more than a photocell now.

For underground cable systems you have to run a second cable to form the switched supply as well as the existing supply cable which would be running down the street, which again has huge cost implications. The only possible time it would be cheaper is when there are columns and no existing supply cable along the road (for houses, shops, factories etc) which is why group switching nowadays (always exceptions – Edinburgh for example where new group switching in the city has been installed in several locations) is usually limited to main roads and motorways, not built up areas.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, it makes sense  :) Which makes me ask the opposite question: if all the above expense is incurred by group switching, why are they so fond of it in Scotland and Wales? Also, is group switching common with the overhead line fed lanterns in the Republic of Ireland?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 am 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Then there's that street full of dayburning lanterns which were left like that for months, and no, they're not RF-switched before anybody suggests it  :lol:

If you start from here and travel along the road, you will see that virtually every lantern is dayburning! Now every lantern appears to have it's own individual photocell so how this has come to happen I don't know. The Google SV car recorded this road in August 2008 but in June 2009 Claire took photos of two of the lanterns - still dayburning! Image and Image

Time clock getting removed?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 am 

If they're all celled lanterns then even changing the previous switched group supply to an unswitched supply wouldn't put all the lanterns into dayburning.... I think this is Sheffield just being Sheffield! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 am 
Random avatar

They may of been group switched and had blanking cells, so they may of changed the blank cells over apart from two that may of not had NEMA sockets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

I don't know if they can but could it be possible for timeclocks to jam? If it is then that could explain another reason for dayburning.

Profile  Personal album