It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:35 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

New builds in Salford have gone for the continental look... click here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 pm 

Catenary suspension can be seen to be an ideal way for lighting a street, especially in this example where the pavements on traditional terraced areas tend to be narrow and as is often the case, blocked by parked vehicles. From an aesthetic viewpoint though, I still prefer columns or the vintage wall mounted lanterns such as the Revo "Critchley". It is interesting how the catenary system in Salford, has slung the lantern over the centre of the road in motorway fashion, when traditionally lanterns are staggered left and right. Presumably, the HID optics are designed to be used in this manner, however it would be interesting to see the installation at night.

In view of the very traditional roots the terraced street possesses, I would have thought a catenary lighting system would be just the job to hang the washing on to dry, just like in the old days!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:04 pm 

Catenary lighting is used in a number of places on the continent in this manner. Perhaps the most appropriate usage is on tree lined streets, where placing columns at the sides of the road result in the lanterns being covered by the trees.

In Southampton, The Avenue used to be lit with catenary lighting, and I can't help but thinking that it would have done a far superior job than the current columns do.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:27 am 

There is a road in Hull which is exactly like that - tree-lined boulevard and so catenary lighting has been used... I can't remember the exact street, and since Google changed it's maps site with a new version of Streetview that is completely unworkable on my PC (it causes 'ghosting' of my firefox browser, where you change tab and only the areas where you highlight with the pointer actually change) then I cannot find out... however I know it runs from the A63 to the Anlaby Road area.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:50 pm 

The lighting installed to complement the recent regeneration of Slough town centre has a retro feel to it, with catenary lighting being installed along the length of the pedestrianised section of the High Street. All the photographs in this post were taken in November 2013:

A picture showing how effective the new catenary lighting in the pedestrianised area of Slough High Street is.

Another view of the High Street, which also shows how the catenary lighting provides good visual guidance to the shopper and invites them to explore the full length of the High Street.

Another picture of the catenary lighting in the pedestrianised area of Slough High Street.

Sadly I have no day photographs as I was working at the time and unable to visit the town centre in daylight, but the night-time photos certainly show how effective the lighting is compared to the more usual post-mounted street lanterns, heritage lanterns, wall-mounted lanterns or wall-mounted SONPAKs.

In another modern twist on a retro idea, Slough town centre also has a number of what look like newly-installed Thorn Alumets, recreating the look of yesteryear originally created by Richardson's Candles and REVO's Festivals:

New vertical LED or fluorescent "candles" in Slough town centre.

Some more of Slough's new candles.

With the High Street being reserved for the catenary lighting, these candles are installed in some of the public open spaces like piazzas etc., hence they are more of a decorative (but still functional) item. Accordingly, there's no long streets in Slough town centre with just the candles on show.

Last edited by David on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

These anyone?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 pm 

Hi all,

Just had a mid week trip to London. Whilst I was walking through Greenwich towards the National Maritime museum I spotted these, please see attached picture. What look like side entry industria 2600s on a catenary wire lol.

Regards,

Andrew.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 199.97 KiB | Viewed 12593 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:05 pm 
Random avatar

What a weird setup! These are presumably a temporary setup as the original SOX catenary lanterns were on different catenary wires. The twin brackets for these are still there so maybe they took them down in a panic! Shame that the SOX has gone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

It looks like they haven't quite received the same treatment as what has happened to these near London Bridge... replaced with LED lanterns last year. Last time I posted about this I didn't have anything to show, but thankfully GSV has since been updated... Clicky!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:10 pm 

Hi,

I spotted the ones near London Bridge had gone :( The ones in Greenwich look a botched job.

Regards,

Andrew.