It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 pm 
Random avatar

A year already, phosco152!  :shock:

Phosco P149s looks quite good I think! I'm surprised if Essex don't have any left as they like to keep their lanterns going...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:43 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Somebody put up a picture of one in Essex a short while back on the Yahoo group. I'll try and find it, as I'm not sure when exactly it was taken.

EDIT: it's an old photo, but here it is:

Yes, that's them!

That is amazing to see! Thank you for posting it. I haven't seen these for 30 years (since I was five years old). So it definitely was the elusive P149!

David wrote:
In the 1970s, the B roads around Frinton on Sea, Walton On The Naze and the surrounding villages (Kirby Cross, Lower Kirby, Kirby Le Soken) all used to be lit with the same group B side-entry mercury lanterns on concrete 'hockey stick' columns.

This photo was taken in Kirby Road, Walton On The Naze. The date of the photo is 1967, which is about 13 years before the P149s were removed, but most of the the Concrete Utilities hockey-stick style columns like in this picture are still in Frinton, Walton and the surrounding villages today, albeit with Thorn Beta 5s. Furthermore, the style of the road signs certainly hasn't changed in the last 43 years.

The name Putmans is easily recognised in my corner of Essex. They are a long-established and well-known photography company in Walton On The Naze, and probably took many of my school photos.

Thank you again for posting this photo. I can't quite believe this lantern is now identified, or how good my memory for street lighting was when I was five!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Administration

A similar thing happened with me and Beta 3s. I definitely remember seeing some when I was around 11 but had seen some when I was much younger. I had forgotten all about them until I got back into lighting a few years ago. Then I moved house and lo and behold I stumble across a Beta 3 in my new city of Salisbury. 9 months later it is in the collection. Sometimes I wonder that it can't be all luck/chance/fate... ;)

I still remember the tungsten lanterns from when I was a kid where I grew up before they were replaced by MI50s in the late 1970s. It seems some of the brains earliest memories are the strongest.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm 

In some areas, the 1973 oil crisis killed off mercury. In Hampshire they just decided "ah, maybe we should stop installing tungsten!"

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 pm 

I know of several surviving beta 3's in a pub's carpark in Stockport. Unused as SON floodlights are mounted a foot below the swan neck.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:51 pm 

Now that's interesting...!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
I know of several surviving beta 3's in a pub's carpark in Stockport. Unused as SON floodlights are mounted a foot below the swan neck.

You should try and get some pictures, they must be nearly extinct now!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 pm 

Got a pic from the premier lodge site.

De Trafford Arms/Premier Lodge Hotel, Alderly Edge

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm 
Random avatar

Interesting to see Beta 3s living on in the north west! Pub car parks are like petrol station forecourts, a mecca for old lighting!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 am 

Indust wrote:
Phosco P149s looks quite good I think! I'm surprised if Essex don't have any left as they like to keep their lanterns going...

On the Yahoo group, Simon Cornwell wrote:
I saw an installation of P149 lanterns in Essex a year or so ago and remember the bowls being tapered so they were almost 'V' shaped.

Heck, this is a genuine surprise! I hope they are stil there. And I definitely remember the bowls being nearly V shaped too (that's why I thought they were Beta Threes until I discovered the Beta Three never ran mercury!).

I can, of course, only speak for my corner of Essex, which used to have loads of P149s until they were wiped out. But if they still exist somewhere in Essex it would be great to see them again. I'm afraid I'm not on the Yahoo group (although I do occasionally have a look!), so I was wondering if any of you guys know Simon, and if he would mind me asking him if he remembers where he saw them?