It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Administration

The Dutch streetlighting enthusiasts that I am in regular contact found this UK lighting site that I wasn't aware of.

Not much on lanterns but loads of concrete column pictures. I've only had a quick skim so far, the website owner appears to be based in the SE of the UK given the location bias of his pictures (some of which are of the same installations as some of my Flickr images).

I particularly like the CU concrete wall bracket at the former Chatham dockyard. I don't recall ever seeing such an image on line before.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:08 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Very good website - thanks for bringing this to our attention. The website places more emphasis on the lampposts themselves, which makes for a pleasant change from the usual lantern focus.

There's also a dedicated page on London Transport concretes: http://beno.org.uk/lamppost/london_transport.html

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:28 pm 
Random avatar

Concrete Lamp Posts of the UK.  A facebook page with my various photographs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:46 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Some sad news. I really hope Matthew doesn't have to resort to this as it is a fantastic website.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 am 

Alex wrote:
Some sad news. I really hope Matthew doesn't have to resort to this as it is a fantastic website.

Looks like it has gone!  :cry:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I must have clicked on it just before it went then.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:03 pm 
Random avatar

That hacking of Matthew's site gives an answer to my question of what would a general tw** think of an interest like this one. Shame, but couldn't he re- upload it as he still owns the domain and such, or has his hosting been cut off?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:20 am 

My own site got hacked once, and it took about 6 months to get my account reactivated with a lot of correspondance to try and prove it wasn't me that put up a fake Natwest page with a bulk emailer script operating in the background, whilst the hosting company refused any responsibility for any security deficiencies on their servers. When the hack occured 4 weeks later I simply let my own domain die out as I really did not want to go through the same hassle. I had even tried rebuilding my entire site with a 'htaccess' control script in place with PHP scripting on my pages providing a 'digital signature' in line with another script which was a "pre-parser" that would run all the script of the page the person viewing my site was trying to open, and if any discrepancies were found it would then throw back an error page. The system worked for a week but then the hosts changed the server setup for 'htaccess' files and refused to alter it back, so my own security system which I spent 4 months building was broken and unworkable. In a fair few cases, once a domain has been hacked then those responsible will have bugged the server so that a change of passwords gets sent to them and then they re-hack the domain again.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Sorry, meant to mention this on Friday.... http://www.streetlightonline.co.uk has been updated!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:29 pm 

I saw that on Friday too  :)

It has quite a lot of new stuff to look at.

Profile  Personal album