It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Columns and Brackets
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:53 pm 
Random avatar

Acacia Cat wrote:
Julian Rd's Iridiums are mounted at 8m using the proper CU 8m column type. However, at the 'stepped' flats, they seem to have used the 10m column type but with 2m hacked off the top.

clicky

Honestly I think they look better than the ones on thinner columns. Still, the Iridium is NOT as attractive as the MA50s that used to light the road.

Historic streetview would suggest that that is the same column which used to hold the MA. Those columns certainly are not particularly old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Administration

Battle in East Sussex has a number of these unusual steel columns with a square section main tube and bulbous base fitted with Phosco P109 lanterns. The column is in 2 parts with the main tube welded into the base section.

They are made by Poles Ltd of Birmingham.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:16 pm 
Random avatar

Just a quick one

My L.A. has recently installed a load of sleeves on concrete columns. The sleeves are roughly 2ft x 2ft of galvanized steel and have a presumable batch number punched into them at the bottom.

Any ideas who manufactures these sleeves?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 pm 

Pudsey Diamond, perhaps?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 pm 
Random avatar

Second that

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:52 pm 
Random avatar

For anyone considering making there own column installations or fabricating their own brackets to match their area I thought it might be a good idea to add the column colours authorities use for their installations.

Oxfordshire – Reed Green RAL 6013
Milton Keynes – Grey Aluminium RAL 9007
Dorset – Traffic Grey RAL 7042
Hartlepool – Merlin Grey RAL 18B25
Coventry City Centre – White Aluminium RAL 9006
Coventry Other – Jet Black RAL 9005
Watford Town Center - Anthracite Gray RAL 7016
Hertfordshire County General Colour – Grey Aluminium RAL 9007
Hertfordshire Conservation Areas – Jet Black RAL 9005

Only 7 so far, I will add more shortly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Beautiful concrete columns along the West Parade of Bexhill c. 1959 with decorative wings:

Retweeted by UKASTLE (image 1)

Retweeted by UKASTLE (image 2)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:37 pm 

Apologies if this posting is in the wrong subject, however I thought I would share a few snaps of a cast iron wall bracket which I fitted to the corner of my Mum's house many years ago. I rescued it from our local highways depot prior to demolition. At the time, it had a plain outreach arm, however I managed to fit a more appropriate finial soon after.

In common with other columns and brackets I have owned over the years, this one has also supported several lanterns, including a top entry beta 5 (which is now on a cut down Stanton concrete bracket in my own garden) as well as a "Victor" flameproof pendant running a 50W MBF lamp. In the last couple of years, it has been fitted with a GEC mercury lantern. Being side entry, I fitted an elbow to the bracket, which worked but at the expense of the aesthetics.

Anyway, after all those years, I thought it was about time the bracket had a repaint. I also took the opportunity to  fit something a little more appropriate to this vintage bracket and its decorative finial.

It has now been fitted with an Eleco HW853 (Mk3 Baldock) and now looks a good deal better. With the fixed focus, it took a little bit of experimenting to find the right lamp for this lantern. Although the Baldock was designed for an 80 / 125W MBF, such a lamp would be too bright for my application, therefore a CFL lamp would be a good compromise in terms of running hours and output.
After trying numerous types, an obscure "Panasonic" CFL which is similar in shape to the old Philips SL18, manages to fill out the optical aspects of the lantern, without looking too "domestic".

With both bracket and lantern having been nicely refurbished, I hope it meets with your approval. The first pictures show the previous side entry lantern with its aged bowl and peeling paintjob - not a good combination.

Attachments:
DSCF0842.JPG
DSCF0842.JPG [ 978.59 KiB | Viewed 9161 times ]
DSCF0843.JPG
DSCF0843.JPG [ 786.66 KiB | Viewed 9160 times ]
DSCF0862.JPG
DSCF0862.JPG [ 931.65 KiB | Viewed 9159 times ]
DSCF0852.JPG
DSCF0852.JPG [ 897.4 KiB | Viewed 9158 times ]
DSCF0863.JPG
DSCF0863.JPG [ 820.99 KiB | Viewed 9160 times ]
DSCF0856.JPG
DSCF0856.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 9160 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:39 pm 

I have just found some brackets that I don't recognise, Any ideas about this type?

Several were saved, along with their lanterns from Ainsbury Road in Coventry, shown below on Google Street-view.  Are they AEI Leader columns perhaps?
These are for a 2'' round spigot, but the catalogue entry from Simon Cornwells' website describes that 'The top of each column is fitted with a 2" x 3" triangular standard spigot casting'. The swan shape is also similar, but not exact.

Thanks for your ideas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:15 pm 
Site Administration

Your first picture is of a Leader, (QLC1) column.

However your bracket seems to be the spigot cap version of QLCB1. This series of brackets was designed to be used with the Lucerna column. So either the council ordered the wrong brackets, or more likely, Thorn adapted the design so one series of brackets fitted both columns.

Profile  Personal album