It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Columns and Brackets
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:23 pm 

CLICKETH :D
--------------------------------
Okay, but don't you think that the telegraph pole mounting is a bit *AHEM* interesting?

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Administration

That bracket is not that unusual. The finial on the telephone pole was also common on older poles - both decorative and to keep water off the top of the pole and hence preventing rot. It is a "trick" of the GSV image - the bracket isn't connected to the finial.

Brackets which are above overhead lines are now slowly being replaced to have the lantern below the lines as the result of new regulations.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:48 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

In another thread, Rojojnr wrote:
As promised, my photo of a P172:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1485543

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

Oops, I didn't  realise! :oops:

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm 

Because of a missing door, the lighting replacement guys plonked the door from a CU Phosco forest column on to the urbis one. They painted over it so it wasn't so noticeable (except to people like us who look at streetlights. They have done it multiple times throughout Bath here and here. The last one doesn't even fit the column!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Administration

A missing door is seen by many contractors as an "urgent/must fix within 24 hrs" fault due to the safety implications.

For older columns especially S&L types, doors from newer columns don't fit, so often doors consisting of thin galvanised sheet secured with stainless steel bands are used until perhaps a spare door off on older column can be located.

There is also a plastic version that can be used on newer thin base columns. Contractors usually have a stock of used doors from more modern columns that fit, but often maybe of the wrong colour or make - a Fabrikat door will fit a Stainton column for instance.

Some contractors do however have new doors made up for older columns. 20 years ago, the contractors for Hampshire had new doors made for the large base S&L columns to replace lost and corroded originals, and more recently the same was done for concrete columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:11 am 

It would be a smart move if when there is a number of old columns removed (either as a replacement beautification scheme or upgrade, or to replace structurally unsafe columns) that the contractors saved some of the doors from the old columns so as to have a reserve for if another column loses its door, and then a like-for-like door can be popped on. York didn't do that when they had the chance just over a year ago, but I picked up a few doors after the columns had been removed so now I have a small number spare - one has since gone after I spotted a column without a door (one which had live control gear in the base), and a week later it was still like it and so I popped one one of my doors and locked it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am 

Julian Rd's Iridiums are mounted at 8m using the proper CU 8m column type. However, at the 'stepped' flats, they seem to have used the 10m column type but with 2m hacked off the top.

clicky

Honestly I think they look better than the ones on thinner columns. Still, the Iridium is NOT as attractive as the MA50s that used to light the road.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:19 pm 
Random avatar

Two curious items here in Tennyson Road, London Borough of Newham! On the left we have what could possibly be a mobile phone mast but looks very much like an old abandoned fluorescent lantern as it's on a column that has the right sort of base to be a lamp post column and it has a door. On the right is what could also be a lamp post column (it looks like it's one of those octagonal steel columns with either long straight brackets or diagonal brackets which were common in the 1970s) as it has a bitumen deposit at its foot but it doesn't appear to have a door. There are loads of these poles scattered around the borough (there's another one just around the corner) - could they be abandoned streetlight columns or are they just something like a stench pipe for a sewer? This particular example has had bunting hung onto it, presumably for the Olympics as it would have been happening very close by when the Streetview car passed through, but the columns don't support wires, so they can't be telegraph poles. Answers on a postcard please!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Administration

The column on the left in your first GSV link is indeed a mobile phone mast. The green cabinets in the background contain the electronics.

The hex section poles look to be galvanised and of early 1980s vintage. Sewer vent pipes aren't modern affairs and old ones tend to be cast iron.

I suspect those redundant poles may have held flags/signs/some form of (non lighting) catenary in the past and haven't been removed.

Profile  Personal album