Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Those look even more outlandish than these beasts on Blackpool Prom!  :lol:

They look even more futuristic!

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Columns and Brackets
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 pm 
Random avatar

The whole of New South Promenade in Blackpool looks futuristic, what with the giant mirrorball and the big concrete 'monolith' shelters so the lighting fits in well (the lanterns are Urbis Hestias running MH by the way  ;) ).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
I think if lighting is switched off permanently then they should remove the columns as it's rather dangerous to have concrete columns close to the road when they serve no purpose and are hard to see at night when they're not lit.

On the A68 in Durham they have been installing crash protectors to wooden telegraph and power poles. They are made of plastic and highly visible and about 8inches thick and attached facing the traffic by steel bands. I wondered if the same could be applied to concrete or even older steel columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:51 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:

I've seen them myself, the columns must be from the year 4011 AD as thats how futuristic they are.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:08 pm 
Random avatar

Scott15 wrote:
On the A68 in Durham they have been installing crash protectors to wooden telegraph and power poles. They are made of plastic and highly visible and about 8inches thick and attached facing the traffic by steel bands. I wondered if the same could be applied to concrete or even older steel columns.

A good idea, and these should definitely be used at the bases of columns whose lanterns are turned off either permanently or part-night.

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:

I've seen them myself, the columns must be from the year 4011 AD as thats how futuristic they are.

Yeah, they give that kind of impression although by 4011, there will probably be one big streetlight in the sky hovering above a town throwing beams of light in the areas that need them  :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:09 am 
Site Administration

Gramma6 wrote:
Scott15 wrote:

A good idea, and these should definitely be used at the bases of columns whose lanterns are turned off either permanently or part-night.

So should the same thing be done to all trees and telephone poles and sign posts next to kerbs which aren't lit at night to stop people injuring themselves when they crash into them? I'm sorry, I fail to see how these road side structures are any different to a column that has been part nighted or even one that has a failed lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:04 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
Yeah, they give that kind of impression although by 4011, there will probably be one big streetlight in the sky hovering above a town throwing beams of light in the areas that need them  :lol:

There are two of them there now: The Sun (SON), and the Moon when full (MBF).  :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 pm 
Random avatar

Claire wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:

There are two of them there now: The Sun (SON), and the Moon when full (MBF).  :lol:

:lol:  Good point!

Phosco152 wrote:
So should the same thing be done to all trees and telephone poles and sign posts next to kerbs which aren't lit at night to stop people injuring themselves when they crash into them? I'm sorry, I fail to see how these road side structures are any different to a column that has been part nighted or even one that has a failed lamp.

Fair comment, although apart from signposts (which are usually either lit or carry reflective signs) these other structures aren't usually right next to the kerb like older streetlight columns tend to be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm 

What about Betelgeuse when that explodes, will that be Metal Halide? Best to create a new topic with Planets v Types of lamp…

Profile  Personal album