It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Columns and Brackets
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:53 pm 

As a regular reader of one of more "cerebral" daily newspapers, I was intrigued to find this question in the "Answers to Correspondents" section. It is from the issue dated Wednesday Jan 20th 2016.

I'm sure there will be plenty here who will be able to answer the question. My own experience is limited to an original concrete GAS column, which for many years now has served as a support for my friend's washing line. The concrete is now badly spalled in places, however it is probably the last around these parts. Sadly the gas lantern was scrapped back in the 60s.

Providing an answer to this question might be an opportunity to promote UKASTLE to a wider audience!

Attachments:
mailcolumn1.JPG
mailcolumn1.JPG [ 56.64 KiB | Viewed 10092 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:03 pm 
Site Administration

Almost certainly the answer is yes. The trouble is defining the exact date of manufacture - many concrete column designs were produced for decades.

It's probably safe to say that this and this are "1950s" or earlier. Plenty more elsewhere on my Flickr site and others mentioned on Ukastle as well.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Great find, GreatNorburyStDepot  :D

Notwithstanding Phosco152's post, there are various concrete survivors on the London Underground, as detailed on this site.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm 
Random avatar

There are a few concrete columns surviving in Gainsborough (Lincs) that appear to be long time survivors, but I can't ID them.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Attachments:
Northolme 1 (533x800).jpg
Northolme 1 (533x800).jpg [ 510.18 KiB | Viewed 9959 times ]
Northolme 9 (383x800).jpg
Northolme 9 (383x800).jpg [ 268.04 KiB | Viewed 9959 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Administration

Good find, that is a Concrete Utilities "Avenue 3DNN" column.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:31 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks.  There are a few along the same road and all in remarkably good condition given their age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22 pm 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
As a regular reader of one of more "cerebral" daily newspapers, I was intrigued to find this question in the "Answers to Correspondents" section. It is from the issue dated Wednesday Jan 20th 2016.

I'm sure there will be plenty here who will be able to answer the question. My own experience is limited to an original concrete GAS column, which for many years now has served as a support for my friend's washing line. The concrete is now badly spalled in places, however it is probably the last around these parts. Sadly the gas lantern was scrapped back in the 60s.

Providing an answer to this question might be an opportunity to promote UKASTLE to a wider audience!

Admittedly,  it has taken a good while, however I notice that the question in the Daily Mail regarding the pre fifties concrete columns has finally achieved a response. Interestingly, the only suggestion (so far) has been provided by the same source of the original question, giving proof to the old adage "if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself".

Although it is possible that Mr Bird of Cheltenham may already be a member of Ukastle, it is good that his question and detailed answer has brought this topic to a wider audience.

Attachments:
mail lamp.jpg
mail lamp.jpg [ 308.77 KiB | Viewed 9798 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 am 
Random avatar

Someone Posted this

In a local faceache page.

Does anyone know if the columns pictured are actually 3 lantern ? The one in the foreground could I suppose be two columns but the chances of all the replacement columns lining up into the distance must be slim. I can't say ive ever seen anything like them?

Can any ID the lanterns?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:57 pm 

I haven't seen that exact image before, but I've seen a photograph of that location from a different angle before, and those are indeed triple-headers!

There are Revo Horizon mercury lanterns combined with Revo Hyperion sodium lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
... and those are indeed triple-headers!

Without knowing where this particular picture was taken, I feel quite confident that this streetlighting installation was certainly not unique. In Bury, Lancashire, this same lantern / column combination could also be found, presumably on thoroughfares where high lighting levels would be required.

The use of both sodium and mercury lanterns on the one column might indicate that the full load would have been be applied from dusk, with the mercury lamps being switched out from midnight onwards.

I would recommend an excellent publication "The colours of Greater Manchester" by Michael Eyre and Peter Greaves. This book celebrates the wonderfully varied liveries of the former municipal bus undertakings, which could be found in what is now Greater Manchester. Whilst the book is splendid at illustrating the variety of vehicles in use at the time, it is also ideal for capturing plenty of long vanished street lighting.

Below is a scan from this publication. It shows a single deck Daimler Fleetline with East Lancs bodywork, outside the old Bury Market in May 1969. To the rear of the bus is one of those unusual columns, although similar pictures of Bury show they were to be found in other parts of the town centre. As already indicated, the Revo Horizons and Hyperion lanterns can clearly be seen.

The photo has been credited to a Mr Geoffrey Morant.

Attachments:
BuryGMorant1.jpg
BuryGMorant1.jpg [ 3.58 MiB | Viewed 9432 times ]