It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Columns and Brackets
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 am 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:
... and those are indeed triple-headers!

Without knowing where this particular picture was taken, I feel quite confident that this streetlighting installation was certainly not unique. In Bury, Lancashire, this same lantern / column combination could also be found, presumably on thoroughfares where high lighting levels would be required.

I purposely left out the place name... Just to test you guys....

It is indeed Bury!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:22 pm 
Random avatar

I'm wondering if the mercury and LPS/SOX combination was in any way an attempt to cope with fog and provide white light - it used to be said that the monochromatic wavelength of sodium was beneficial for visibility in foggy conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:47 pm 

Hi all,

I hope everyone is OK and you have the Friday feeling!

When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s I used to spend a lot of time with my friends in the back lane shown in the photo. I remember it was lit by 10 Thorn Beta 5s on 5 meter columns. Eight of them were controlled by RTE P42s and the other two were controlled by Horstmann T20s. Can anyone identify the columns?

Regards Andrew.

Attachments:
20170205_172038-1195x2124.jpg
20170205_172038-1195x2124.jpg [ 401.04 KiB | Viewed 9259 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:29 am 
Site Administration

They are Stewarts and Lloyd. 2 identifiers, the doors and the fact that the hockey stick attachment is separate - zoom in and you can see the join near the top of the column shaft. These columns were available with a variety of brackets such as hockey sticks, 7 brackets, swan necks or a plain stub bracket like this. With this type of bracket the columns were quite short - less than 4m/12ft.

Attachments:
Sand L.jpg
Sand L.jpg [ 307.34 KiB | Viewed 9263 times ]
 Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
They are Stewarts and Lloyd. 2 identifiers, the doors and the fact that the hockey stick attachment is separate - zoom in and you can see the join near the top of the column shaft. These columns were available with a variety of brackets such as hockey sticks, 7 brackets, swan necks or a plain stub bracket like this. With this type of bracket the columns were quite short - less than 4m/12ft.

Hi Phosco,

Thanks for the information, I have often wondered what they are. Interesting to learn that they came with different brackets, I have seen some with stub brackets  like these

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.88230 ... 56!6m1!1e1

But looking at them I think they might be a different manufacturer as there is a lip above the door.

Are these the 7 brackets?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.88120 ... 56!6m1!1e1

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm 
Site Administration

The first looks to be more like an Atlas column but with the door on upside down, and a later bracket from a different manufacturer - possibly made by the council as a replacement.

The 2nd does have a 7 bracket that could be made by S&L. The domed cup that fits over the column end is typical of S&L.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm 

Whilst having a visit to the Bowes Railway website, I came across these great pictures of the Team Valley industrial estate in Gateshead. Conceived in 1936, its most notable feature was the 2 mile long arterial road called Kingsway. Open for business in 1939, the site boasted a mixture of industrial premises, plus a bank, a post office as well as the local headquarters for the NCB.

Of course in more recent times, the estate has lost its industrial heart, having transformed itself into a massive retail park.

What is most interesting from a Ukastle point of view though, are the splendid concrete lighting columns which are very much of the period. The bracket arms especially are very distinctive. The original lanterns which appear on the earlier photo, look to have been either open SO or MA designs. In the later years, these have been replaced by what look to be GEC lanterns, but perhaps you can confirm this.

With regards to the columns, does anyone know who manufactured them? They have an almost American look about them, which is probably not surprising seeing how the inspiration for both here and Trafford Park in Manchester, was laid out very much along American lines.

Attachments:
team2.jpg
team2.jpg [ 132.15 KiB | Viewed 8539 times ]
team1.jpg
team1.jpg [ 192.05 KiB | Viewed 8539 times ]