It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 am 
Random avatar

Yeovil in Somerset has many Alpha 3 lanterns, and I took this from a bridge showing unspoilt views of 21 lanterns. These examples appear to be Thorn but Atlas examples also exist.

Here is an unspoilt line of 12 Atlas Alpha 3 lanterns. There were a lot more but due to the sun being in an awkward place I had to take it from this side.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Administration

More Yeovil Alpha 3s here,
(taken from the opposite direction to Indust's 1st picture) here and here!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:58 pm 

I have just written this post in the East Anglian discussion thread. I am sure that with the removal of SOX lighting from the A127 between the M25 and Rayleigh and the almost certain removal of SOX lighting on the A120 between Braintree and Colchester, there could be just one location in Essex left where fans of large-wattage SOX can see a substantial, unspoilt and well-maintained installation of large-wattage SOX lighting. But noting that Essex can be behind the curve when it comes to adopting new lighting, I think the existence of this installation is worth sharing beyond the East Anglian discussion thread.

All the photographs in this post were taken this week (March 2017).

The 4-mile fully-lit stretch of the A13 between North Stifford and Orsett still retains its original installation of Philips MA60s on the mainline dual carriageway and Philips MA50s on the slip roads.

This photograph and the photograph above were taken looking west (towards London) from the A13's junction with the A1012 (the Stifford interchange).

Note in these and the following photographs how well-maintained the installation is, with very few - if any - lamps out in many of these photographs.

This photograph looks east towards Southend, as viewed from the roundabout over the A13.

Another view looking east towards Southend, as viewed from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

The view looking west (towards London) from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

A view looking east towards Southend showing the 180W SOX on the A13 continuing through the junction, and once again well-maintained with nearly every lantern in light.

Another view looking west towards London from the A1012 roundabout over the A13. I can only see one light out!

A similar view looking east towards Southend from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

A wideangle view of the above photograph looking east towards Southend.

One last view of the Philips MA60s on the A13 continuing through the junction, but this time looking west towards London, and once again everything is well-maintained with every lantern in light.

The next junction on the SOX-lit section of the A13 is a freeflow "trumpet" junction with the A1089 Tilbury Dock Approach Road (the Baker Street interchange) which was built in the early 1980s.

A wideangle view of the above photograph, taken above the A1089 Tilbury Dock Approach Road looking north to its junction with the A13.

Notably, the A13 transfers ownership from Highways England to Essex County Council at this junction, and Highways England's authority continues along the A1089 to Tilbury Docks.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road is another treat for large-wattage SOX fans, as it is also lit along its length with 180W SOX which may date back to the road's construction in the early 1980s. Add the Tilbury Docks Approach Road SOX to the short section of SOX between North Stifford and the junction with the A1089 and it adds up to circa. 5 miles of unbroken SOX lighting.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road also uses an opposed lighting arrangement in places instead of the more traditional lighting in the central reservation, but once again it is 180W SOX.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road near to its junction with the A126 Marshfoot interchange.

Another photograph of the A1089 Marshfoot interchange, looking south towards Tilbury docks (in the background).

The SOX lighting comes to a temporary stop at the Asda roundabout, which sounds like a relatively new addition to the road. The roundabout also heralds the end of the dual carriageway, but the SOX lighting continues along the A1089 south of the roundabout, with the wattage downgraded to 135W.

For any fans of large-wattage SOX out there, I think the A13 between North Stifford and Orsett and the A1089 between Tilbury Docks and its junction with with the A13 is now the last opportunity to see a large, unspoilt and well-maintained installation of 180W SOX lighting in Essex.