What happened? :? (panning 360o helps)

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm 
Random avatar

I believe the SGS201 is an older model than the P567 (it used to be known as the ME70) and I recall SGS201s appearing here in the early 90s as the ME100 variant.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm 
Random avatar

Not sure if this qualifies, but this WRTL Vectra on this footpath next to Waterworks Corner Roundabout in Woodford, London Borough of Redbridge is being replaced with a ZXU1.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

It kind of qualifies if you think of the ZXU1 as derived from the ZX1. Though strictly speaking, the Vectra is an older lantern than the ZXU1 - the latter being released in 2004.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:50 pm 

On the A13 in east London there have been a number of casual replacements carried out by TfL where older generation lanterns replace newer generation lanterns. There are a number of lanterns I could talk about, but there is one notable casual worth mentioning. A large flat glass Iridium has been replaced with a bowled SGS203. The surrounding Iridiums are all in reasonable condition, yet the newer SGS203 is showing the usual signs of fibre-shedding on the canopy and browning of the bowl, making it look older even though it is younger.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 pm 
Random avatar

On the A127, a couple of low-mounted post-top Trafficvisions lighting a footpath next to the road have been replaced with brand new MRL6s mounted on stub brackets. An MRL6 has also replaced a Selenium further down on the A12 near Romford (not shown in Streetview), whilst a few others were replaced with ZX3s and SGS203s.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:12 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Interesting - do you reckon it's simply a case of older stock needing to be used up?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:51 am 
Random avatar

Yeah, I reckon so. The MRL6 was discontinued earlier this year, plus the Phosco P850 has now become the preferred choice of lantern for all TfL's routes, therefore I reckon TfL might have still had a few in its stores and wants to use them to get rid of them. I wonder, therefore, how long those MRL6s will last before they get upgraded to LED?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:54 pm 

It will only be a temporary measure as such, as their replacement with Phosco P850s is already on the cards. With newer lanterns I think there is sometimes the ability to sell surplus back to the manufacturer, who can then sell it on to somebody else at a discounted rate. This wouldn't be possible with the old duffers, which are essentially left on the shelf unwanted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am 

Anybody travelling on the A3 from London to Portsmouth will probably be familiar with the roundabout at Liss, as it is the only roundabout on the trunk road.

Earlier this year some minor widening works were carried out on the roundabout. As part of the works, the existing early 1990s columns with SGS203s were retrofitted by the Highways Agency with Luma 3s (and a couple of columns replaced). Interestingly the Highways Agency also retrofitted Lumas to columns belonging to Hampshire County Council. Needless to say, the South Coast PFI swept through the area a few months later, and SSE replaced the columns belonging to Hampshire, taking down the Lumas that the HA put on the wrong columns at the same time. Even though nearby main road installations in the South Downs National Park have Lumas, being outside the National Park means these new columns have the standard SON Iridiums...

So, in the space of 2014 SON SGS203s and ZX3s have been replaced with LED Lumas, and these have been replaced with SON Iridiums.

Profile  Personal album