It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Random avatar

This is probably quite a rare thing to happen in theory. I think we had a similar thread on one of the previous UKASTLE forums with somebody showing an GEC Z8600 being replaced by an SRS201 (MA50).

An example I found from Aberystwyth was an Iridium being replaced by an ZX3. (Which itself has now been replaced by an Urbis Senso 2 (Thanks to Alex for identification.)) The Iridium can't have lasted long!

From google streetview:

My picture:

In other cases, imagine the most common situation of an older styled lantern replacing a newer one would be lantern trials, where the trial was not successful.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
This is probably quite a rare thing to happen in theory. I think we had a similar thread on one of the previous UKASTLE forums with somebody showing an GEC Z8600 being replaced by an SRS201 (MA50).

An example I found from Aberystwyth was an Iridium being replaced by an ZX3. (Which itself has now been replaced by an Urbis Senso 2 (Thanks to Alex for identification.)) The Iridium can't have lasted long!

From google streetview:

My picture:

In other cases, imagine the most common situation of an older styled lantern replacing a newer one would be lantern trials, where the trial was not successful.

Here's an Iridium which has replaced an Urbis Falco (a foreign Urbis lantern which was only on sale in the UK for a limited period in 2009/2010) in Woodford, Redbridge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 am 

In York, I can remember a QSM that failed and was casually replaced by a ZX3.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:26 pm 
Random avatar

This Airtrace (a casual replacement for a ZX3 which looks to have been crashed into) has been replaced with an installation identical to this. Correct me if I'm wrong - the Airtrace is a 2011 lantern and the Furyo was introduced in 2008?

On the A12 at Brentwood, ZX4s replaced Arcs on the eastbound carriageway only as part of the M25 junction improvement scheme in 2008. The Arcs were only about 4 years old when they were replaced!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I think you're about right there, RE: Airtrace and Furyo dates. I'm a fan of both.

You're absolutely right there, regarding the ZX4s - to my mind they look out of place and I can never understand why they were chosen for this particular scheme. I'm surprised how the junction's SGS203/4s on that junction have managed to withstand all these changes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:53 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
I think you're about right there, RE: Airtrace and Furyo dates. I'm a fan of both.

You're absolutely right there, regarding the ZX4s - to my mind they look out of place and I can never understand why they were chosen for this particular scheme. I'm surprised how the junction's SGS203/4s on that junction have managed to withstand all these changes.

Yes, I like the Airtrace and Furyo in terms of design - they're just becoming far too common round here and being used in a rather sloppy manner! Yeah, it's interesting how the SGSs are still clinging on, as councils have been replacing SGS203s with more current lantern designs!

Also, just realised from looking at that Hornchurch link where the Airtrace was replaced by a Furyo that there's a bit of overkill here in terms of lighting! There's two zebra crossings, one lit with Sapphires, the other Arcs and there's a double-bracket installation with two MK II Alpha 8s (which I think has now been removed due to being replaced with the Furyo installations installed on the pavement) all on one island! I know I'm deviating a bit from the subject of the thread, but it's just an interesting thing of note!

Got another example of old replacing new as well - Piccadilly used to be lit with black ZX3s, but they've now been replaced with Revo Grey Wornums. Note the Gamma 6 lighting the island crossing, which has strangely not been replaced!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 pm 
Random avatar

This Thorn Alpha 8 stands out of place as this road is lit entirely by ZX3s. I'm unsure whether this is a replacement for a ZX3 or whether it was there before the ZX3s and their colums installed, the council may have seen it as "too new" to be worth replacing.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:43 am 
Random avatar

I've seen a Beta 79 retrofit in Rugby too - Replacing an MI36. I'm unsure which model came first (it was the GRP Beta 79) but there is potentially another example there. Rugby council must've had a large amount of Beta 79s to keep them going until a couple of years ago!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:24 pm 
Random avatar

This single Airtrace in River Road, Barking and Dagenham has now been retrofitted with an Evolo, in line with the installations on the rest of the road.

Last edited by Rojojnr on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:31 pm 
Random avatar

This Sapphire has been replaced, five years after being removed, by a white flat-glass ZX3. Originally a ZX3 on a white Fabrikat column like those in the background would have been installed, but in 2008 it was for some reason removed and replaced with the Sapphire's column (a black bowled ZX2 was originally installed to this column - the Sapphire retrofitted it only a few months after it was installed in line with the other columns by the shops, presumably to increase safety with white light). This itself was then removed and five years later has now had a white flat-glass ZX3 installed in its place.

A similar thing to above happened just down the road on Perth Road. Originally a ZX3 would have been fitted to this column in line with the rest of the installations, but for some reason, again in 2008, the column was removed. The ZX2 in the Streetview was installed onto a new column (which ended up being half painted, half unpainted). Three years later, the original column was put back and the ZX2 reinstalled onto it. I'm guessing perhaps there may have been a cable burnt out inside the column and it may have short-circuited the ZX3 and broke it, but now the column has been fixed and to save installing a new ZX3, the ZX2 has been reused. I'm guessing by the numbering that the ZX2 is older than the ZX3, right?

I believe this interesting ZX2 installation on Winston Way replaced Sapphires too.

Whilst I'm at it, following on from my previous post above, the Evolo is a 2009 lantern, right?